Sign In to join the community | Help
Plumbing

Search our community of experts for project answers

I want to make a stand for glass from copper tubing.  To do this I need tubing that can bend into circular positions at the bottom and top so the glass can nestle in the top curvature.  Glass will weigh about 4 to 5 pounds.

Which tubing do you suggest that will give me the strength and also the flexibility to do this?

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2016-01-12T18:48:39+0000  by Glasslady Glasslady

Hi Glasslady,

Copper tubing is manufactured in "Soft" (flexible) or "Tempered" (hard).

You'll find these notations in the Product Description or Product Specifications.

You'll most likely find that a combination of tempered for leg strength and soft to create supporting coils may actually be the materials requires to build your glass table support.

If this was my project, I'd select between one-half, three-quarters, and one-inch copper tube ... depending upon the size, amount of weight to support, and durability required.

Artists and metallurgists commonly use gas torches to heat and bend many kinds of metal.

Here are two examples:

One-half Inside Diameter Soft Copper Coil

One-half Inside Diameter Tempered Tube

FINALLY:
Wearing cotton gloves will prevent finger prints from the naturals oil and salt in your skin.

Or, you may choose to age your copper using a variety of chemicals.

And, spray polyurethane will be an excellent final coating to maintain the appearance of your glass supports.

Posted 2016-01-12T19:55:13+0000  by Pat_HD_ATL

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+