Sign In to join the community | Help
Flooring

Self-stick vinyl flooring

Hello...

I am going to place self-stick vinyl tile on my cement basement floor. The floor is level and cracks filled. What do you recommend to clean the floor before laying the tile? Should I apply any prep material to aid adhesion? Also, is it best to use a heavy floor roller during the process? I would greatly appreciate guidance!

Krispita42

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2011-12-09T00:40:37+0000  by Krispita42 Krispita42

Hi Krispita42, this is Mike the Home Depot Answer Man.

The first step would be to wash and dry the floor. Then apply a primer meant for self stick tiles.

Once the primer has dried you may begin the installation. I have included a project guide with all of the steps.

The project guide recommends using a roller, although it doesn’t need to be a real heavy one

I hope this answers your question.

Mike,

http://www.homedepot.com/hdus/en_US/DTCCOM/HomePage/Know_How/Flooring/Docs/Installing_a_Vinyl_Tile_Floor.

Posted 2011-12-09T01:46:06+0000  by Mike_HD_OC

Thank you, kind Sir!

K :)

Posted 2011-12-09T02:04:22+0000  by Krispita42

Umm...one more thing...any chance you'd recommend a primer?

Posted 2011-12-09T02:09:00+0000  by Krispita42

Hey there Krispita42,

We sure can recommend one for you = )

The primer that I would go for is the Henry 336 1-Gallon Bond Enhancer Self-Stick Tile Primer. It's specifically made for self-stick vinyl tiles and goes on very easy. It's not like a paint for the floor, so don't be expecting the mixture to be thick. It's more like a thin milk and what it does is seals the pores of the concrete and creates a layer that allows the self-stick glue to well, stick!~ = )

Henry336FloorPrimer.png

If you check out our, Project Guide for Installing Self-Stick Vinyl, you'll see that it's applied to the floor with a roller. This is usually a thin nap roller, which you can stop by our paint department to pick up, after you've gotten the primer from over by our flooring department.

If you have any more questions on the installation process, either refer back to the project guide, or give us a reply back on here. We'll help you get the basement finished in no time = )

Posted 2011-12-09T14:20:50+0000  by Jay_HD_CHI

Hi, this message helped me too, except the project guide won't pull up.  I get an error message.  The box explains how to mark the room but it would be much clearer if I could see an example of how to start the tiles.  I purchased your Trafficmaster premium tiles and a gallon of the primer requested.

I do, however, have a strip about 1ft wide and 7ft long that is not plywood for the subfloor.  It is a particle type board as I live in a mobile home and couldn't get all the floor up to replace it.  Floors are installed in mobiles before the walls are erected.  I originally bought the primer to level the slight difference between the two floor substances.  I hope this will be sufficient!  This is what a Mobile Home contractor advised me to use. 

Trying to leave a message here is horrible!  The curser locks up and won't move and the page jumps all over the place while I'm trying to type.

Hope you can help with the guide...thanks!!

Posted 2011-12-29T04:55:15+0000  by azgrannie3

Hey there azgrannie3,

Thanks for joining our community!~

I'm sorry you've been having troubles with the project guide and our forum on here. I'll see if I can have that looked into for you so it shouldn't happen again.

I was able to perhaps replicate your problem and found that at this time, Internet Explorer is having a bit of trouble pulling it up. Browsers such as Firefox however, are able to pull it up as I'm looking at it now. But I digress, I'll make sure we can get that fixed, but for now I'll post up the guide so it's available for you to read at your convenience.

VinylTileProjectGuide.png

For doing the layout, we do have some topics on our community already that help illustrate this and should be pretty helpful to you on this project. aboveaveragejoe has a topic he started on how to measure and layout tile, and your truly has his own topic, Math & Tile Layouts. Between those, you should find a handy guide for getting started on it.

As far as your substrate issue, it all depends on if there is a noticeable difference in the levels between them. If there is, then you'll need an additional product to level the surface so that it's completely flat. While the primer works great for helping provide a durable bond, it doesn't not fill in un-even spots or act as a leveler. For that, Henry Flooring also has you covered with a product called LevelPro. It works great over wood substrates, so it should do just find for your mobile home. I would let your contractor know about this product, or advise him to take a look at it in your local store.

I hope this helps you out. Please feel free to reply back in the topic should you have any other questions!~ = )

Posted 2011-12-29T18:52:20+0000  by Jay_HD_CHI

Hello,

This information is helpful. I was just wondering if I can apply the HENRY® 336 Bond Enhancer Self-Stick Tile Primer over existing sheet vinyl before we install the new vinyl tiles. Do you have any recommendations about installing the vinyl tiles over existing sheet vinyl?

Thanks so much!

Posted 2012-12-04T16:47:04+0000  by muziqcrazed85

Hi there muziqcrazed85,

Thanks for joining our community!~

The Henry 336 Primer is meant to be placed over concrete, masonry, wood, gypsum, or drywall. If you're placing your tile over existing vinyl, then your best bet is to rough up the surface of the tiles with a low grit sandpaper and make the surface a bit tacky. This will help your new tiles adhere to the surface properly and ensure a strong bond : )

Posted 2012-12-06T17:52:03+0000  by Jay_HD_CHI

can you tell me what type adhesive i can use to bond marble strips on the side of my vanity, i tried the thinset but they just slowly slide down and i pressed on the strip and held it for a while than it would slowly slide down, so i would like to bond the strips with some kind of adhesive and on the top of the vanity i will use the thinset, I have mirror glue and liquid nails will either of these hold the marble strips up until they dry?  thanks - Gloria

Posted 2013-01-28T13:47:12+0000  by gspahn

Good information but I have another question: can ceramic tile be laid oer lnoleum? WHat kn of prep need to be done to the linoeum  to accept the tile?

Posted 2013-03-05T01:29:20+0000  by wanderer
Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+