Sign In to join the community | Help
Flooring

Setting Glass Tiles over existing Laminate Backsplash.

I'm trying to find some information about setting tile over my existing laminate backsplash and I'm hoping someone can help me out.

I have laminate countertops in my kitchen. The countertop is one continuous piece that curves and continues up the wall as a backsplash as well.

Now here is my problem.

I want to keep the countertop, but I want to set glass tiles over the laminate backsplash. How do I get rid of the curve without disturbing the countertop?

This is quite a dilemma for me, and I have not been able to find any answers posted on any how-to forums anywhere on the internet.

Is there possibly some sort of trim that I may be able to place in the curve that I can set the tile straight?

Any ideas?

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2012-11-12T19:27:34+0000  by Stantheman Stantheman

Good afternoon Stantheman,

Thanks for your great question; welcome to the community!

I've personally not heard of an integrated countertop that doubles as a backsplash, but if you install the tiles correctly with right tools and materials, it can be done. You are essentially working above the curve, or with it, provided you cut the tiles carefully to go with the curve itself.

As long as you give a nice-looking transition that breaks from the top of the curve of the backsplash to the new tile, you can get the new glass tiles installed just fine. You'll also need some specific supplies that I'll go over as well.

First, I would measure and mark/tape off the area you want tiled over. Only you can determine where the edge of the curves ends so you can effectively place the tile. I'd recommend using a straight-edge like a level to obtain this.

After determining how big the area that is going to be tiled, I would recommend to use a very thin material like SimpleMat to adhere the glass tiles to the backsplash. Why this over a premixed mastic or thin-set? Several reasons.

One, the SimpleMat is literally paper-thin. It's double-sided adhesive works excellent on sticking all types of tiles to surfaces like your backsplash/countertop. Since it's so thin, the tiles won't jut out from the existing backsplash as much as using a backerboard/thin-set install would.

Click on the how-to instructions below to find out in more details why this is the best item to use for your glass tiles over a backsplash.

SimpleMat Instructions

Install your glass tiles as you normally would after this (grouting, sealing).  As I stated earlier, you can go with the curve or on the top of the curve itself. If I were doing this in my own home, I would recommend to install the tile at the top of the curve. 

I say this because you already have a great water deterrant, the integrated curve itself. If you placed a transition piece below it, it can trap water and create problems further down the road on your new install. 

As I said before, install the tile just up to where the backsplash curves downwards. After the tile is complete, you'll still have a 'rough' edge of the glass tiles. You can fix this with a transition of your choice in metal or wood.

The key is to place the transition after the countertop curves upward to become the backsplash.

We carry a lot of transitions in our flooring department, namely in M-D and Schluter brands.

Schluter profiles

And there you have it, a successful glass tile installation over your existing backsplash. No ripping out, no backerboard, just an easy yet effective solution for your project.

If this was what you needed, or have additional questions, please let us know. And we'd like to see your finished work once you've finished!

Cheers,

aboveaveragejoe

Posted 2012-11-12T20:40:04+0000  by Joseph_HD_ATL

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+