Sign In to join the community | Help
Paint

Shellac process question

Hi - I stained my wood with Minwax water base stain and I am going to Shellac with Bulls Eye.  Do I need to sand in between coats and wipe down with a cloth after each cloth like the minwax process?  Thank you.

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2013-05-04T01:48:41+0000  by katc katc

Katc,

With all your queries, soon they are going to rename this the "Katc Forum" :smileyhappy:

To your question: After the first shellac application, a light sanding with fine sandpaper will put down the slight roughness from the puckered grain. Subsequent coats need not be sanded unless crude gets into the finish.  Unlike urethanes, there is no problem with adhesion between coats. Shellac "re-wets" and bonds to the previous coat. In fact, shellac can be removed or redissolved at any point by the application of denatured alcohol. Unfortunately, this makes shellac not the best finish  should an alcoholic drink ever be placed upon it. Where water and alcohol are present, urethane is the far more protective finish.

Hope this has helped.

Posted 2013-05-04T04:39:55+0000  by ordjen

Thank you.  I was thinking of using this product on my kitchen cabinets and possibly some unfinished wood furniture.

Posted 2013-05-10T03:47:29+0000  by kcollins

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+