Sign In to join the community | Help
Paint

Should I paint over wallpaper?

I own a trailer with wallpaper covered paneling. I am on a very tight budget, but I can't stand the wallpaper in my home. I was wondering if there is a paint that I can use over my textured wallpaper, or if there is any other options available.

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2013-07-18T02:59:33+0000  by sjean7 sjean7

sjean,

The "wallpaper" in your manufactured house is not really wallpaper per se, but a product which has a decorative covering bonded to it. It may be painted after a suitable primer is used. Primers such as Zinsser's 1-2-3, or Glidden's  Gripper will work fine. You will want to have the primer tinted toward your finish paint color.

If your "wallpaper" has the small matching batten strips, these too can be removed and the joints taped and covered in much the same fashion as drywall is taped and mudded. There is an extra thin, self-adhesive fiber glass tape available for such purposes. The thinner tape will keep the protrusion of the taping to a minimum. Use drywall "topping compond" for its ease of sanding. Use a sanding block to give a nice, non-wavy surface.

Hope this has helped.

Posted 2013-07-18T05:09:31+0000  by ordjen

I painted over these kind of walls in my mother-in-law's whole double wide. I removed the battens and countersunk all the nails, then simply spackled, and sanded smooth, primed then painted. I didn't bother with the strips of "tape" as it would have used much more spackle to make it not noticeable. I even white washed the paneling to lighten. The end result was awesome. No more tacky "wallpaper".

Take before and after pictures. You'll be amazed at the transformation. Good luck with your project!

Posted 2013-07-22T14:48:00+0000  by Whimsy

The risk in not taping the seams is that cracks will develope along the joints between the panels. This is especially likely where large temperature/humidity variations can be expected, such as in a seasonal cottage that is not heated in the winter. The panels will expand and contract to some degree. Taping helps to keeps an unbroken film over the gap.

Even with drywall, where seasonal expansion is anticipated, expansion joints are actually placed in large expances of the drywall. A uniform expansion joint is more attractive than a ragged break in the drywall.

Posted 2013-07-22T17:34:05+0000  by ordjen

Thanks for the advice. I will be starting this project very soon.

Posted 2013-07-22T17:52:41+0000  by sjean7

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+