Sign In to join the community | Help
Flooring

Should I seal my tile?

My home remodel has just completed.  I need to know if I should seal my tile.   As I search for reccomendations, the response is about 50-50 to seal or not to seal.  Please give me your thoughts as to the benefits of sealing or not sealing.  What will happen if I don't.

Porcelain tile on the bathroom floors - installed greater than 30 days.

Procelain tile in the shower - completed one week (is this long enough to set if I decide to seal?)

Ceramic Tile on the Kitchen Backsplash - Installed about 2 weeks

Marble Tile on the fireplace - installed greater than 30 days.

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2011-10-04T15:20:43+0000  by calaudat calaudat

Hi,

I've been reading all infos. Very helpful.

I just installed and grout travertines on a shower floor. The purpose is that it's not too slipery when wet.

I'm afraid that if I put the sealer, it will become shiny and slipery. Should I put the sealer only on the grout or it doesn't matter? Is it easy to remove on the travertines if I have too or should I use the Roller bottle you advise to use on the grout joints only?

Also what kind of sealer should I use?

I bought TileLab. Is it a good water repellent or should I buy 511 impregnator?

Thank you for your input.

Posted 2013-08-12T15:18:49+0000  by lucky202

We installed ceramic tile (12x12 blocks) on our screened porch floor last Spring.  It was great for a while, then came the humidity!!  Now we have a nice "slip 'n slide" floor. I take for granted that the tile is already sealed from the manufacturer.  Surely there is something other than carpet/rugs we can put down to keep from breaking our necks with all this humidity.  HELP PLEASE.  :smileysad:

Thank you!!

Posted 2012-11-13T15:59:15+0000  by Grumpy525

Hey there brian26,

You're correct in that porcelain doesn't need to be sealed. Just like with ceramics, porcelain tiles come with a glazing over them that helps protect the tile already. All that you need to worry about is the grout itself.

What I commonly recommend for grouting is the Roller Bottle, which makes the sealing process very simple and hassle free. However if you wish to do this on a large scale application, you certainly can.

You'll be applying the grout sealer wtih a terry cloth, rag or sponge--which ever you find easiest to work with.Apply it over the entire floor, almost in the same motion as if you were cleaning the floor. What you want to watch for is the grout color to darken. As it darkens, you'll be able to tell that the sealer is penetrating (don't worry, it will lighten back to the original color.)

Once you've covered the entire surface adequately, let it sit for about 20-30 minutes before going back for a second pass. During this time, I would suggest taking a dry cloth and wiping the tiles off and removing any excess sealer from it. While it won't harm the tile, it can leave water marks and depending on the sealer, it may change the sheen of your tile to something a bit more glossy or matte.

Just be careful not to leave too much of the sealer on your actual tile, and you should be just fine.

Hope that helps answer your question and gets your project underway. Best of luck!~

Posted 2012-03-29T14:14:08+0000  by Jay_HD_CHI

Hi,

Further to the above topic, I have a new bathroom with mainly porcelain tiles which from what I understand do not need to be sealed.  I know I need to seal the grout lines but doing so will be difficult as there are so many, (i.e. shower floor is made up of 2"x2" tiles, decorative border is 1"x"2" tiles and walls use 6"x6").

Is it OK to seal over everything, porcelain tiles and all?  Will that change the look of the tile, and how careful must I be to prevent streaks and bubbles?

Thanks!

Posted 2012-03-26T17:55:32+0000  by brian26

Hey there latpannell,

Thanks for joining our community!~

A great question! The sealer that Tom mentioned above is great for those areas. It's actually rated for both interior and exterior usage, so you know it's gotta be pretty tough!

Miracle Sealants recommends using a clean white towel for it's application and spreading it over the whole area. Since you're working with tiles that don't require sealing, you only really need to cover the grout. You'll want to be careful not to let any excess dry on the tiles, as it will leave reside. It will not harm the tile though, it just makes for extra cleaning later on.

If you'd like, you can also use either a brush bottle or roller bottle to easily apply the sealer in only the grout as you'd need. This is great for smaller areas, but can be quite cumbersome for larger applications.

Multiple applications may be necessary, and be sure to wear grouting gloves or similar hand protection when working with the sealer.

Hope this helps you out!~ Let us know if you get any other questions and hope to see you around the forums some more. = )

Just Ask Mr. Jay Blog.png

Posted 2012-03-15T19:10:56+0000  by Jay_HD_CHI
I am a new home owner and will have ceramic tile floors and walls along the kitchen counters and bathroom shower. Also will have granite counter tops in bathrooms and kitchens. Should I use this sealer for both? Also, when sealing the floor and walls can I apply the sealer to the whole floor and wall tiles or is it only applied to the grout? Is it bad to apply it to all surfaces of tile?
Posted 2012-03-11T02:15:36+0000  by latpannell

Greetings Ernie,

Welcome to the Community and thank you for a wonderful point! You are exactly right that the stone should be sealed prior to grouting to avoid any bleeding or staining. In this case I understood that the project was complete except for sealing, so the tile and grout was already in place.

Thank you for your input and great advise! You join a host of DIY'ers here in the community, and we certainly appreciate you sharing your experience and expertise. 

I just gave you your first "nailed it" because you did!

Posted 2011-10-04T18:57:45+0000  by HD116

You should seal the natural material before grout. This will keep the grout from staining the tile. Then seal all your grout lines. waiting the 72 hours will insure the grout is fully dry..

Ernie

Posted 2011-10-04T18:23:53+0000  by ErnieJ

Hi again!

My rule of thumb is to allow the grout to cure for at least 72 hours before applying a sealer. I would then reseal according to the manufacturers recommendations, or when a drop of water no longer "ponds" on the sealer. I would also suggest resealing your marble every other year.

Happy to help!

Posted 2011-10-04T17:29:16+0000  by HD116

Thanks so much for the reccomendation.  Is there a certain amount of time I should wait on the shower before sealing?  I used a non-sanded grout and was wondering if there was a curing time. 

Posted 2011-10-04T17:09:35+0000  by calaudat
Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+