Sign In to join the community | Help


We recently had a new water heater installed by a licensed plumber.  Afterwards, we noticed that there is "moaning", whistling noises from the pipes after the shower is used, and someone does a load of laundry or flushes a toilet.
Then the shower valve (on/off/hot cold-one handle  type) moves out slightly from the closed position and water starts to run, and you cannot shut it off, until the other device that is using water,( ie:  wash machine, toilet stops filling) is no longer drawing water.  Can someone help with a suggestion?  

The house is approx 60 years old, we've been in it for 23 years, and the shower valve is the same one that was there when we moved in to the house.  Does the valve need to be replaced?
Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2015-04-20T15:30:43+0000  by Blocker Blocker
Hi Blocker,

Often when a water heater is replaced, the mineral deposits in the piping are disturbed by the work
and begin to travel through the plumbing system. The only place for them to go is to your faucets, shower valves and toilets.

These deposits build up inside the shower valves and prevent the valves from closing properly. Shut off the water to the shower, and remove the handle to access  the shower valve itself. If its a cartridge style valve replace the cartridge. Just take the old cartridge to your local Home Depot and the plumbing associates will assist you in selecting the replacement.

If it's an older valve such as a Delta with the ball and seats, you can buy a kit to rebuild it. On your other faucets remove the aerator screen and let the faucet run for a few moments to clear the faucet body of the mineral deposits. Rinse off the aerator and reinstall it.

If this does not solve the problem, you may have to call the plumber back to troubleshoot the issue.

Mike, The Home Depot Answer Man

Posted 2015-04-20T21:41:53+0000  by Mike_HD_OC
Hey Blocker,

Mike's advice is right on!

Deposit build up can lead to numerous problems with valve seats.

Before you call the plumber, consider checking the whole-house pressure regulator.

It is located on the main water line; where the water supply main enters the building.

The tip has an adjustment screw to increase or decrease water pressure and a lock-down nut to secure the screw.

It is possible that slightly reducing the water pressure will eliminate your issues.

Posted 2015-04-23T19:34:38+0000  by Pat_HD_ATL
Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question