Sign In to join the community | Help
Install & Replace

Shower Repair...pressure/temp problem

I replaced the cartridge in my single handle Delta shower faucet.  However, after the new one was put in, the range of motion is only half of the old one.  I have adjusted the regulater disk, but still get extremely low water pressure and hardly any warm water.  Any ideas???

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2011-03-23T13:47:45+0000  by LauraS LauraS

Hello LauraS, I’m sorry to hear about your dilemma. I gather that you have a 1300/1400 series delta shower valve (one of the only common delta 1 handle valves with a temperature limit disk). I talked with Sam at Delta, and I think we have a solution.

Regarding the range of motion, if your current valve goes between about 3:00 and 12:00 it is at the default setting for temperature limit stop. I would recommend trying putting it closer to the maximum temperature limit stop setting. This should allow the handle to turn from 3:00 to about 10:30. NOTE: please be careful when you have the stop set to max as the temperature may be unexpectedly hot. You may want to fine tune the stop to be at your favorite temperature so that you can open the valve fully and not worry about scalding.

From delta: if you have a Monitor® 1300 or 1400 series model (handle controls the temperature only, not the volume). For every tooth the rotational limit stop is rotated clockwise, the maximum water temperature will decrease approximately 6º F. NOTE: If water temperature is too cool, rotate the limit stop counterclockwise.

tempsetstop4a.jpg

The extremely low water pressure may be the result of sediment knocked loose from the supply pipes, into your new cartridge. Sam from Delta recommends that you remove the cartridge, and turn the water supply on (be sure your shower is sealed off and that no faucet parts are in the enclosure). This will knock loose any hard water deposits that may be in your supply pipes. You may be able to remove sediment from the current cartridge using a de-scaler such as CLR or Lime Away. However a new cartridge may be required if you can't get the sediment out.

I really hope this helps LauraS! Please let us know if we can do anything else to help. 

Posted 2011-03-23T19:42:18+0000  by BlakeTheDiyGuy

Hey Laura, I just wanted to clarify, If you replaced the entire cartridge you should have the new model which (aside from the stem that comes out) is all plastic. If this is the case, you would turn the limit stop Counterclockwise. However, if you have an old cartrige (pre 2006) where there is a toothed brass ring with a plastic limit stop that fits on top of the toothed part you would need to turn stop clockwise to adjust the temp up. 

I hope this clears up any confusion. :smileysurprised:

-Blake

Posted 2011-03-23T19:58:23+0000  by BlakeTheDiyGuy

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+