Sign In to join the community | Help
Flooring

Answered

Shower Walls

I have a shower that has leaks.  I thought the leak was due to the tile floor or the floor lining.  After I removed the floor tile, I started to remove the bottom row of tile on the wall so that I could remove the lining.  Now I see regular dry wall was used on the walls!  Please see photo.  Do I need to replace all the drywall with a water-proof wallboard?  Or is there a way to seal the tiles so that the drywall will eventually dry out?  If I seal it, will I have problems in the future?  Or should I just rebuild the shower properly and be done with it?   Thank you

20121229_PAN_0801 sm.JPG

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2012-12-29T17:14:58+0000  by HMT HMT

Hi Jannette,

You don’t need to tear out the whole wall but you should replace the compromised "backer" with the new one, preferably a cement board.

I would suggest removing the tile around the all three sides of the tub until you get to the "healthy" substrate. Once exposed, I would then use a grinder or multi tool to cut the bad section(s) out around the tub. About 1 1/2” inches from the edge of the existing tile. From my experience you’ll probably have to go about two to three rows high.

grinder.jpg

Once removed install the new cement board and glue the tile using the modified thinset.

Keep in mind you may not be able to save all of the pieces or find the exact same tile.

Hope this helps and please do not hesitate to post back with any additional question you may have.

Posted 2013-03-18T15:41:56+0000  by George_HD_CHI

Thank you for all your help!20130103_PAN_0849.JPGSub floorLeak TestRoofing Felt for WaterproofingTo tie it altogether, I added the glass tile as back splash

After.

Posted 2013-03-18T15:56:57+0000  by HMT

WOW!!!

WAY TO GO HEIDI, YOUR BATHROOM ROCKS!!!

GREAT JOB.

Posted 2013-03-18T16:07:32+0000  by George_HD_CHI
Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+