Sign In to join the community | Help
Bath & Faucets

Shower head replacement

Hi there,

I just wanted to replace a showerhead but the previous guy screwed it in too tight and I can't loosen it with pliers. What else could I use to help grip and/or loosen the joint?

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2019-01-08T01:46:43+0000  by LW LW
The answer often to use a bigger pair of pliers.  I don't know what kind of pliers you were using but you might have to go up to something like a pair of "Channellock" pliers.

Some shower head also have a flat section machined into the part the connects to the tube coming out of the wall (called a shower arm).

Posted 2019-01-08T11:19:14+0000  by Adam444
I hit the wrong button, apparently twice. ;-(

If your shower head has a flat section, then you can use an ordinary open end wrench or an adjustable wrench.  That way you don't have to squeeze so hard while you're turning.

You will also need to hold back against the shower arm to prevent it from turning out of the wall or even bending.  Use a pair of pliers and a wrap a small rag around the shower arm to prevent the jaws of the pliers from marring the finish.

Home Depot even has a video on how to change a shower head.
Posted 2019-01-08T11:24:09+0000  by Adam444
Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question