Sign In to join the community | Help
Build & Remodel

Silicone Caulk Removal

Help! I recaulked my undermount kitchen sink after it started cracking in less than a year after installation only to find out that it needs to be removed and remounted. I now have silicone caulk on my cast iron Kohler sink and cannot get it off. Any suggestions would be appreciated that will not harm the sink. Thanks!!!
Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2015-08-08T15:31:15+0000  by megtrauth megtrauth

Hello Meg! 

Thank you for your question! 

Since you are removing silicone caulk from a cast iron sink, I would suggest not using a chemical. A good ole fashioned razor blade will be the best thing to use. Just be sure not to dig into the sink, as the cast iron can be easily damaged. 

Have a great day! 

Christine 

Posted 2015-08-08T18:56:48+0000  by Christine_HD_ATL
Hi megtrauth!

You are among countless DIYers who need to remove silicone caulk every year.

Goof Off Foam and Silicone Caulk Remover is your best bet to re-wet the existing caulk; which will make it easier to cut free.

Be very careful working is small spaces with a razor blade!

When you encounter a particularly difficult spot, resist the urge to use your free hand to secure the area where you are cutting.

NOTE:
Silicone caulk dries to form a strip of rubber. Re-wetting this rubber seal may take several applications ... wait five-minutes between.

FINALLY:
Use Loctite Epoxy to secure your sink back to the counter top.

It is rated for 3,500 pound per square inch.

Mix the two-parts thoroughly, spread a generous amount on the sink flange, and support the sink firmly in position overnight.
Posted 2015-08-11T13:07:31+0000  by Pat_HD_ATL

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+