Sign In to join the community | Help
Outdoors

Simple Paver Steps

The previous owner of my home laid simple pavers as steps off the back patio down to the bottom of the backyard -- slight hill. Unfortunately they don't look very pretty or seem very secure. And as the group gets saturated with rain, they slip and slide.

I don't want to do a total renovation on the backyard at this time as I am hoping to wait until spring. But with bonfire season upon us, what can I do to help make these steps more stable? I'm afraid that guests will slip/trip/fall walking down the steps in the condition that they are in.

Looking for something easy and inexpensive to do the trick for the time being.

Thanks in advance!

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2016-09-28T13:55:12+0000  by ek419 ek419

Hello ek419 and welcome to the community.

It sounds like the previous owners did not want to invest the time and effort to properly install the steps you need.  It is difficult to do a temporary fix without getting the same results as the previous owner.  It would be better to do the installation once properly either now or in the spring.  One temporary approach is to dig down and set them so they slip less.

Here is a project guide for setting pavers properly and a video.  Also I am including a link to the web site of Pavestone which will provide design and installation information.

If you can send some photos of your situation it would be helpful in determining what action you can take for the time being.

I look forward to hearing back from you with more information.

Thank you for your inquiry.

Charlotte

Posted 2016-09-29T13:41:36+0000  by Char_HD_CHI
Image result for images of mulch path

Greetings ek419,

I have a suggestion, I read you just want a quick fix to make things safe until the spring.

I immediately  thought of a mulch path, can you lift the pavers and lay a thick bed of mulch? You can  just use the mulch as the path, or seat pavers back into the mulch securely,seated so that they do not shift when it rains.

I would add some solar powered path lights along the path edge, these would illuminate the path ithout detracting from the fire-it at the paths end.Solar landscape lights are a perfect addition to your path!

Check out this link and learn how to install a mulch path, you can disregard the first steps because the path has already been established....the video will just help you with the whole concept. This option may get you through until spring!

Enjoy the cool nights and the warm fire,   Maureen 
Posted 2016-09-29T18:24:39+0000  by Maureen_HD_BOS

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+