Sign In to join the community | Help
Flooring

SimpleMat™ TileSetting Mat: no mortar – no mixing – no mess

I recently completed a small glass backsplash project using the SimpleMat™ TileSetting Mat.  It was an ideal solution for my project and has been mentioned in several posts on The Community.  I’d like to tell you more about this great product. 

simplemat.jpg

SimpleMat replaces traditional thin-set mortar or mastic adhesive.  It is best used for backsplash, countertop, and wall applications.  There is no mortar – no mixing – and no mess!  You can install tiles at your own pace.  Best of all, there is no waiting between setting and grouting.  One box of SimpleMat covers 10 square feet.

This product works best with several types of tile, including:

• Ceramic, porcelain or stone tile larger than 1" x 1"
  • Gauged stone tile (uniform thickness) and no thicker than ½ "
  • Mosaic tile with an open mesh backing.

This product should not be used outdoors or on floors, ceilings, in showers, or areas that are constantly exposed to water.

As with any tiling project, surface preparation is the key.  Your surface needs to be structurally sound, clean, dry and free from grease, oil, dirt, curing compounds, sealers, adhesives, dirt, or any other contaminant that would prevent a good bond.  All surfaces to be tiled should be flat, even and stable (no cracks, peeling, or surface movement).  Since SimpleMat will follow your wall or counter surface, be sure to patch, flatten or level as needed.

simplemat.jpg      Each sheet is 9" x 18" sheets (9 sheets/box).

Installation is easy!    

body_installbacksplash_02.png 
SimpleMat can be cut with a pair of scissors or a utility knife.

body_installbacksplash_03.png 
Simply peel off the white backing paper and apply the mat to the counter (cover all surfaces that will be tiled).  Flatten any air bubbles and creases by using a float to press down the mat.

body_settingTile_02.png 
Remove the clear plastic from the SimpleMat. 

body_settingTile_03.png  
Apply the tile.

body_settingTile_05.png  
Press the tiles firmly into place.  You can immediately grout (it is best to grout within 24 hours).

I was able to complete my project in an afternoon and it was a success. 

Links:

Installation instructions
Installation video
Product Information

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2011-02-08T18:11:00+0000  by Eileen_HD_ATL Eileen_HD_ATL

Hello patertwitted and thank you for joining The Community.  We are glad that you are here.

The SimpleMat tile setting mat is designed to be applied to flat and even surfaces.  This product is not recommended for application on your uneven surface.

You could remove the ceramic tiles (possibly a lot of work and subsequent base surface preparation), however, there are traditional options for you to apply new tile over the current ceramic tile.  First you will need to roughen up the existing tile with a grind wheel or steel wire brush to create a texture on the ceramic.  Then apply mortar:

Flexbond.jpg      glass tile mortar.jpg

1. For a large area, the manufacturer recommends FlexBond thin set mortar (with water only).

2. For a small area, you could use glass tile mortar (which is suitable for glass, thin marble, and porcelain tiles).

Then grout and finish as desired.

Best wishes on your project.

DW6.PNG

Posted 2012-08-16T13:33:32+0000  by Eileen_HD_ATL

Can this be used over ceramic tile that isn't exactly flat on the edges?  I currently have tile that as you get to where the edges are they go up just a little bit before going over the edge rather than laying flat.

Posted 2012-08-16T09:22:14+0000  by patertwitted

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+