Sign In to join the community | Help
Build & Remodel

Sink Size Specs - Advice needed

We are remodeling our Kitchen (Vancouver, BC) and I have a question on sink vs. cabinet size.

Due to space restrictions etc, for our sink we have ordered a 33" cabinet and were looking at the Blanco Sinkgranit Undermount 1.75.

Blanco Canada Size Specs states that the sink can be mounted in a 33" cabinet.  (Cost $710 Home Depot Canada)

Blanco USA Size Specs states that the required cabinet size is 36" (Cost $416 Home Depot USA)

The Part numbers for the products are different and as a person who has no knowledge of this, I can clearly tell from the Size Specs links provided that the measurements are very similar and identical where the width is concerned.  I would really like the help of an expert who can comment on the actual size requirement of the cabinet.

For almost 80% savings, my preference would be to purchase this in the US and drive it across.

Thanks

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2012-08-12T13:24:59+0000  by Donvaz Donvaz

Hello Donvaz and welcome to the How to community.

Donvaz my initial answer to your question was that you would need a 36" sink base cabinet to install one of these undermount sinks. 36" inches it is a measurement from outside edge to outside edge, inside measurements depending on the manufacturer of the cabinet are more less 34-1/2" inches.

Inside measurements for the selected Blanco sink are 29” 13/16” which would only give you total about 1 ¾” -2” inches the most to work with when it comes to mounting support clips,3/4” to an 1” on each side.

However I ended up calling Blanco customer service…U.S and Canadian one.

U.S customer service rep confirmed my answer about 36” sink base informing me that mounting clips are actually included with the sink.

Canadian customer service rep said that 33” cabinet is acceptable, that they don’t even provide mounting clips out and that silicone adhesive alone is satisfactory for the installation of the unit.

Inside measurement for the 33” sink base cabinet, depending on the manufacturer is somewhere around 31-1/2” inches.  In other words 29-13/16 sink will fit in the 33” cabinet leaving you basically with no room for mounting clips.

My advice  would be next…

According to product specs from the U.S Blanco site these sinks weight 49 pounds. That’s sink alone-empty.Personally  I wouldn’t trust bead of silicone to hold that up over extended period of time.

I would install sink with the wood blocking on the sides of the sink instead of mounting clips. Simply install the sink using silicone adhesive ,prop it up, let it set and after its all set and dry add wood bracing on the inside of the cabinet up against the sides of the bowl. You can secure bracing to the cabinet wall from the inside of the cabinet that next to it or cut the bracing so its tall enough that it can be secured from the inside of the sink base, measure cabinet wall and thickness of the bracing for the correct length of the fasteners.

These are the recommended installation instructions from Blanco site.

blanco.JPG

Hope this helps and good luck with your project.

George

Posted 2012-08-13T19:20:00+0000  by George_HD_CHI

Hi George,

Many thanks for your detailed explanation.  This now makes sense and I sure will take your advise on not using silicone adhesive as the sole support for the sink.

Instead of installing the mounting clips on the short side of the sink do you thing I could get away by installing them on the front (in line with the faucet) and on the back end of the sink?  Because of the shape of the sink, (top) I am not sure how many clips we could get on there.

Since I will not be installing this myself, I will call the granite installers and see what they say as they would be installing it.  If they say it is too much of a bother then I would just have to choose a smaller sink.

I have time - my project does not commence until week 3 of September so I want to get this done right.

Thanks once again.

Posted 2012-08-14T01:07:37+0000  by Donvaz

You are welcome Donvaz.

Instead of installing the mounting clips on the short side of the sink do you thing I could get away by installing them on the front (in line with the faucet) and on the back end of the sink?  Because of the shape of the sink, (top) I am not sure how many clips we could get on there.

That depends on the type of the clips you’re going to use. Some clips require partial drilling in to the countertop and some are just epoxy-ed to the granite. Ones that require drilling would be out of the question. Front and back of the countertop are greatly weakened with the sink and faucet cutouts and your installer will not even attempt such.

I think he'll be able to squeeze couple of the epoxy ones in there.

This is how the epoxy kind looks installed. We do not carry this product but I’m sure if you let your installer know he'll be able to get them for you in a timely mater.

original (4).jpg

Personally I would stick with the double bowl sink and a 33”inch base if possible .It is so much more convenient, sometimes I even find double bowl too small for our needs.

George

Posted 2012-08-14T14:40:13+0000  by George_HD_CHI

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+