Sign In to join the community | Help
Bath & Faucets

Sink faucet runs when any other water fixture is on

Our bathroom sink faucet has been dripping ever since a major water main break in our county. Now, the sink doesn't just drip, but runs whenever another water fixture in the house is on...shower, kitchen sink, dishwater, washing machine. 

Is there a simple fix to the bathroom sink faucet or is it something more serious? I'm trying to balance cost and convenience. Thanks!
Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2018-09-02T14:33:18+0000  by Learning100 Learning100

The repair of the water main break probably stirred up debris that ended up in your faucet, keeping it from sealing properly.  Most modern faucets use a replaceable "cartridge" to control the flow of water.  The good news is that if you purchased the faucet new, many of the major manufacturers provide a lifetime warranty.  You can simply give the manufacturer a call, they will help you identify the faucet, and ship you a new cartridge for free (or at a modest cost).  If you didn't buy the faucet new, you can take out the cartridge and bring it to Home Depot so that an plumbing associate can help you find a replacement. 

When you do get the new cartridge, I would carefully inspect the cavity for any debris.  I might even just crack the shutoff valve and flush the faucet a bit.  Obviously that's going to make a little bit of a mess, so have some towels or sponges handy.
Posted 2018-09-03T16:22:48+0000  by Adam444
Hello Learning100.  Welcome to the Community!

Dirt and debris is the culprit, and it now seems that you have that choice between trying to repair your faucet or simply replace it. The leak may be fixed by dismantling the faucet to expose the valve system and cleaning it by flushing as Adam mentioned above.  It may be that you will have to replace the valve cartridge, or stem assembly or valve washer.  It depends on what kind of faucet you have.  Really old faucets have a stem and washer.  Some have a ball with springs and rubber seals.  More modern ones have cartridges.

The most convenient solution would be to have a plumber install a new faucet.  The cheapest cost option would be for you to take the faucet apart and repair it yourself.  For a repair you will not have to remove the whole faucet, just the handle(s) and the valve guts.  You will also want to remove and clean the aerator which unscrews from the spout tip.  I use an old toothbrush to do this under running water.  Don't forget to clean the aerators on your other faucets as well.

Chris.

Posted 2018-09-04T16:26:05+0000  by Chris_HD_CHI
If flushing it out doesn't fix it, take a serious look at the cost of the valve repair versus replacing the whole thing yourself.  Bathroom sink faucets are fairly easy jobs, and it may be less expensive to replace the entire faucet than purchase new parts for your old faucet.
Posted 2018-09-05T03:32:15+0000  by BDCarrillo

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+