Sign In to join the community | Help
Install & Replace

Slow Draining Utility Sink

I just recently purchased a home with Laundry in the basement and a utility sink was left behind in the location.  The utility sink drains very slowly but I don't believe it is due to clogged pipes.  The drain to the tub is quite small and appears almost as if it is a stopper of sorts with a smaller drain size in the middle.  The piece seems to be part of the tub and not something inserted into the drain.  The piece sits lower than the remainder of the tub (another thing that pointed me towards it being inserted).  I can post pictures if needed but I wanted to throw this out there in case anyone had seen it before.  Essentially I am looking to remove this piece and was hoping someone had encountered something like this before.  I don't know if the piece can be "popped" out with some force or if I can/should saw the piece out to restore/create the larger drain size.  Worst case I can just replace the tub with a new one but I'd like to avoid that if possible.

Any thoughts out there?  Let me know if a picture is needed/wanted.

Thanks in advance.

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2012-03-27T15:00:43+0000  by kbrown1407 kbrown1407

Hello kbrown1407.  Welcome to the Community!

Well, I'll have to admit that I have never seen a drain designed not to drain very well.  For utility tubs there are two types of drains.  First would be just a drain hole like a kitchen or lavatory sink that uses a separate installed drain like this:

Drain Assembly.PNG

The other choice is a drain fixture that is actually molded into the tub like this one:

Molded Drain.PNG

These molded drains will include threads on the bottom of the tub to allow easy assembly as shown.  There is often a small cross molded into the drain, much like the ones you may have seen in bathtubs.  Anything else in the drain like you describe would greatly limit its effectiveness, as you have encountered.

While pictures may help, I would suggest that you take off the lower pipe assembly and see if you can pop out the obstruction from underneath.  You have nothing to lose by trying this since your other option would be to replace the whole sink.  Doing this will also allow you to inspect and clean out the "p" trap and especially the horizontal elbow after the trap that goes to the wall.  These are notorious for being clogged as well.  These parts should simply unscrew by turning the nuts as shown above.  New sealing washers are only a nominal cost and available at any Home Depot store.

I hope this helps,

Newf.

Posted 2012-03-27T16:26:43+0000  by Chris_HD_CHI

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+