Sign In to join the community | Help
Heating & Cooling

Smart thermostat? (bonus: reporting temps from at least two locations in house?)

Hi everyone,

I have a house in Vermont that has hot water radiator heating. No AC and no fan.  There are two thermostats – one downstairs, one upstairs. Right now thermostats are basic dials with a fixed set temp which I put at the minimum on the dial – 50 degrees – when I am not there. It also leaks heat like a sieve (insulating is a high priority project).

I would like to be able to monitor and control the temp remotely. Maybe only control the downstairs thermostat. And set the temp to lower than 50 – maybe 40? And ideally monitor, but not necessarily control, one or two locations in the house besides at the thermostat.

Anyone know if there is a system that can help me with this?  And is this even a good idea?

Any suggestions are appreciated!

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2017-02-12T18:28:24+0000  by jdballou jdballou

Everybody, from Honeywell to Nest makes WiFi thermostats starting at about $100.  It's just a question of what features you want.  From what I'm reading in your message, are pretty simple.  Of course, you're vacation home will need to have a persistent internet connection for you to monitor the thermostats remotely.  I believe the Ecobee offers remote temperature sensors.  Less sure of Nest and I believe Honeywell only offers them in their commercial models.
Posted 2017-02-12T22:46:58+0000  by Adam444

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+