Sign In to join the community | Help
Electrical

Smoke/Carbon detector installing new 2 wire hard wired unit but with 4 wires

Hi I am installing a new 2 wire Kiddie combo alarm which has a black, white and red wire but my old unit is connected to 4 wires (black, red, yellow, green).

How best to connect the new unit?  Should I cap a wire or two and just connect 2?  Is there a way to use the four wires?

Thanks for the advice!

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2017-01-14T21:36:11+0000  by CasaVerde CasaVerde

Hi CasaVerde,

Thanks for joining us here on the community.

Do you still have the instruction manual for your Kidde Combo Alarm? It will give you the right wiring configurations. The black wire coming out of the ceiling should go to your black and red, but double check with the manual first. 

Since there are different configurations and types of alarms, let us know which specific unit you have, and we can try to track down the manual if you don't have it. 

Hope to hear from you soon,

Joseph

Posted 2017-01-14T22:57:56+0000  by Joseph_HD_ATL
A yellow wire doesn't sound correct, are you sure that it isn't white?  Typically you would have power (black), neutral (white), green or bare copper (ground), and red (interconnect).  Since the new smoke detector doesn't have a ground, if you have a bare copper or green wire in the ceiling box just tuck that neatly in the back of the box and make up the rest of your connections.  Black to black, white to white, red to red.

Once you turn the power back on, give the new unit a test, ll your hardwired smoke detectors should go off.
Posted 2017-01-15T09:33:08+0000  by Adam444

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+