Sign In to join the community | Help
Install & Replace

Snaptoggle Bolt Size

I try to mount my 60TV on the wall. This is the first time I am doing this so I searched around on YouTube and they told me to drill 1/2" thru the Stud then insert the Snap toggle Bolt. 
So, my question is what size of the Snap Toggle Bolt? I went to Home Depot but they have only 2 size  1/4 & 3/16.
Your help is appreciate. Thanks
Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2015-06-15T13:10:10+0000  by ht43ver ht43ver
Hi ht43ver,

Snap toggles are not designed to be installed in a stud, they are designed for a hollow wall. There is a lot of bad information out there, U-tube is not the ideal source for this kind of information. These are amateurs, not professionals.

The first step is to use the proper wall mount bracket for your television, you cannot just bolt the television to the wall.There are several available at your local Home Depot. Follow the instructions included with the wall bracket and use the enclosed hardware.

Wall mounts should be attached to the studs for security, often times the studs do not align with the bracket, and one side must be installed directly to the drywall. This is where a product like snap toggles come into play, and can be used.

However I agree with you that a 1/4 inch or 3/16 inch toggles are not large enough to support the television. I would recommend a product called Wingits, these are heavy duty anchors, each holds up to 300 pounds!

They are available in several sizes, once you have your wall mount, the instructions will indicate what size wall anchor you can use, the hardware associates at your local Home Depot can show you the Wingits and assist you in selecting the proper size based on the wall mount you have.


Posted 2015-06-15T19:08:45+0000  by Mike_HD_OC
When hanging anything heavy from a wall you want to hit the wooden structural framing inside the wall called "studs".  Every mount I've seen for a 60" TV has provisions to space the screws so they can hit the studs, which are typically 16" apart from center to center.  The real trick is often finding the studs.  There are any number of methods to do that:

  • knocking on the wall with the knuckle of your hand and listening for the difference in the sound as you move across the wall, although this method takes some experience
  • using a "stud finder" which depending on the construction of the wall and the quality of the tool has varying degrees of success
  • looking for the screws that hold the drywall to the studs.  Depending on how many times the wall has been painted the screws (or more exactly the change in paint texture over the screw heads) may or may not be noticeable.
  • drilling a series of small (1/16") holes
  • some combination of the all these methods

The thing you have going for you is that you have the TV mount to hide any exploratory work. 

I haven't used the brand "snap toggles" you're talking about but they are just an easier to use version of a traditional hollow wall anchor, the toggle bolt.  With most of these products, the hole you need to get the "toggle" part through is usually larger than the actual screw that holds whatever you're hanging to the wall.  So a 1/4" bolt may require a 1/2" hole; the package will tell you what size hole to drill.

A 60" LCD TV weighs in the neighborhood of 50 pounds.  While that isn't a lot of weight, you do want to hang it properly to protect your investment.  Screw into the studs and skip the hollow wall anchors.

If you need a modestly priced mount, check out Monoprice.

Posted 2015-06-15T20:12:58+0000  by Adam444
Hi ht43ver!

Here is an image of a Two-inch Pan Head Screw.

You'll notice the aggressive threads will hold firmly to the studs behind your wall.

You'll also notice that the pan head will create a flat, solid anchor point to snug your TV support against the wall.

Finally, the two-inch version will pass through the TV support and wallboard and penetrate the stud more than one-inch.

Locating the studs and anchoring the TV support with these screws will be much stronger than a toggle bolt.

Use a Phillips Bit and your drill to drive the screws into the studs.
Posted 2015-07-16T14:56:29+0000  by Pat_HD_ATL
Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question