Sign In to join the community | Help
Electrical

Sofa Table Project

im building a sofa table and would like to add a couple of outlets to the top for lighting and also for charging family phones/tablets. i have seen DIY projects done like this but they use an extension cord to power the outlet. im wanting to utilize a couple of junction boxes and possibly a couple of replacement power cords to supply power to the outlets. will this be safe?
Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2017-01-17T09:26:13+0000  by Spike6602 Spike6602

Hi Spike6602,

Thanks for your question and welcome to the community.

While this can be, you'll need to be aware of not just is going to plugged into the sofa table, but also the outlet it will going into.

Simply put, don't overload what is being put on it. In terms of safety, there's really no electrical codes for making a portable fixture like this that I am aware of. But I will say that most electricians will shy away from having a makeshift outlet due to it can be unsafe and not firmly installed inside of a wall.

In fact, it would be best to consult an electrician in your area who can go over more details for your project. Even if you don't have many outlets to install, just be aware of load limitations and you and your families safety.

While I can't tell you exactly what to do for installation, just make sure all the wires will be secured and won't become loose over time. This can lead to the wires becoming frayed or loose which can cause a fire. Use connections that will secure and won't allow the wires to move freely...if you still decide to do this project. 

Let us know if you have any further questions,

Joseph

Posted 2017-01-20T16:10:00+0000  by Joseph_HD_ATL

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+