Sign In to join the community | Help
Paint

Solid color stain over 30 year old dark stain on T&G on screened porch walls

What would my expected result be if I applied a tan-ish colored solid stain over 30 year old dark stain tongue and groove walls in my screened porch?  It may be a walnut stain now.  I am thinking stain instead of paint because I would still like the wood grain to show through somewhat.
Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2016-04-26T18:17:21+0000  by mulhollendm mulhollendm

Stain only adheres to bare wood, so to restain your wood you would need to completely strip all of the old finish.  If you don't want to go through that much work, then paint is your next best choice.  You will still need to clean the walls and use a stain blocking primer if you're going to a lighter color.
Posted 2016-04-27T00:10:15+0000  by Adam444
I would agree with Adam44 that transparent or semi-tranparent stains are only suitable for bare wood. However, a solid hide, acrylic based stain, such as those by Behr, can be put over a surface that has already been stained or even a surface with existing acrylic paint. In essence, a solid hide acrylic stain is more like a light bodied paint, than a penetrating stain. One of the advantages of a solid hide stain, is that the build up of the coating is quite thin and will not hide the texture of the wood, as would a full bodied paint. I believe this was your concern.  It could well require two coats of the stain to obtain complete coverage over a dark existing stain., but this still would not hide the texture of the wood.

Behr acrylic solid hide stains are self priming. No separate primer is normally required.
Posted 2016-04-27T06:25:19+0000  by ordjen
Hello mulhollendm,

It seems that, like every other project, prep is your key to success.

Your question assumes that there will be a difference in appearance if you use stain instead of paint.

In fact, with either you will see the texture of the wood, but will not see the color of the wood grain.

I would recommend you select one of the two following approaches:

1) If you want to see the wood grain, sand off or use a stripper to remove the existing coating.

Once the wood is uniform color, apply a transparent or semi-transparent stain ... you'll regain the natural beauty of the wood.

2) If you only want to cover the existing stain, clean the surface, allow to dry and use an exterior primer that is tinted to be similar to your new color and follow it with exterior paint or solid color stain.

The key to your success in either scenario is to prep for the coating you intend to use.

Personally, I love to see the wood grain and would take time to sand the old, dark stain to refresh the original wood color.

It may seem like sanding is a bit more labor, but you'll be really glad you did when your friends and family comment on the beauty of your natural wood sun porch.

Hope this helps,

Pat InPaint

Posted 2016-04-27T15:43:35+0000  by Pat_HD_ATL

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+