Sign In to join the community | Help
Flooring

Sound reduction for apartment with wood flooring (specifically for thumping keyboard)

I have a very specific sound-reduction question.  

I just moved into a top-floor apartment with wood floors.  My downstairs neighbor can hear every step I make.  

I have a high-end keyboard that I like to use for piano practice (with earphones!) in the mornings.  I've attempted to muffle the "thumpings" with a carpet placed underneath, but apparently it still sounds like I'm working out when I play. 

What, if any, are my carpet padding (or other..?) options for reducing any kind of thumping sounds that I make?  

Thanks in advance!
Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2016-12-07T03:19:15+0000  by JRT21 JRT21

Greetings JRT21,

Hardwood floors are beautiful but they do promote the travel of sound, a rug will help a bit but it “sounds” like you need a dense foam floor pad to help absorb and muffle the sounds and vibrations.

You may even want to make a bit of back board on the wall behind the keyboard…. create a kind of sound proof nook, in which you can practice your electric piano.

I have a few links to some on-line items that the Home Depot offers for soundproofing, for flooring, and wall panels.

I hope this helps with your noise reduction problem!

Please let us know if you have any other questions,  Maureen

Posted 2016-12-08T13:46:35+0000  by Maureen_HD_BOS

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+