Sign In to join the community | Help
Install & Replace

Soundproofing???

I have a very noisy neighbor & I want to blank her out! The walls are so thin it feels like she is in my apartment. I wanted to know how can I soundproof my walls without knocking them down? Thanks a bunch!

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2011-04-13T06:47:17+0000  by LilMissy LilMissy

Me, too! Your answer is one of the best I've seen in nearly a year of remodeling and searching for the perfect solution to the many issues in various properties/projects!

THANK YOU!

Linda
Posted 2013-05-18T21:28:14+0000  by unruhfuentes

Thought I'd register to tell you this:

Thank you!

Posted 2013-05-14T19:13:39+0000  by WilArrington

Greetings,

My name is Tom, known here as HD 116 and welcome to our community. As a drummer for many years, I have tried a variety of solutions to soundproof rooms, basements, and living areas with a variety of materials.

Some are more effective than others, and there are a host of options. Considering you are in an apartment, some of those options may have to be be ruled out. Noise can either be blocked or absorbed. Sound waves can be minimized through creation of space, insulation, absorption, and lessening the rigidity of a surface. You will find that the best sound proofing solutions combines all of these.

Soundproofing materials are rated by what is reffered to as an STC rating. STC stands for Sound Transmission Class, and this rating is used for almost all materials. You will find that the higher the rating the better the blocking or absorbtion of sound. In doing further research on products to use you may also see the acronym CAC which stands for Ceiling Attentuation Class, and is the STC rating for ceiling tiles and products.

From my experience, I think that acoustical drapes may be the best option for you in your situation. By using this product, you can achieve your goal and not have any permanent impact on the apartments construction other than mounting hardware, and that can easily be fixed on move-out. There are other options and resources to better assist you to make the best choice.

I found that the following two websites give a great overview of assessing a noise problem, and offer a variety of products to address them.

http://www.soundproofing.org/

http://www.soundproofcow.com/

Hope that helps, and again welcome to our community.

Posted 2011-04-13T14:34:20+0000  by HD116

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+