Sign In to join the community | Help
Heating & Cooling

Soundproofing between rooms with a common HVAC duct

This is similar to a previous question I posted, so my apologies.

I'm sure this will ultimately cost me an arm and a leg, and I'll likely bring in a professional to take care of it, but I'm curious what are some of the best methods to basically kill sound bleed between two rooms? I've got neighboring rooms with double-walls between them, but with a shared HVAC duct (a large, 12-14" diameter duct in a commercial space). I'd like to do more than just muffle the sound between the rooms, and it seems like everything I'm considering would only do that much.

Stuff I've considered:
Having an in-line muffler installed in the in the ducts at multiple key points near where the rooms meet.
Adding a stack boot or two at the vents, and redirecting the air via a flexible duct.
In addition to the above, wrapping all the HVAC ductwork with insulating wrap, to deaden vibrations.

What can I do to basically disconnect the sound from one room and another, so that you could have the same noise as, for instance, a very loud movie going on in one room, and not hear anything from the HVAC duct? I know that's pretty involved, but I wasn't even certain where to start, and I don't want to waste time, energy, and money on something that could help my business.
Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2015-03-16T19:53:46+0000  by sebastions1 sebastions1
 Hello sebastions1,

I have been following your post and I believe the first step would be to get a HVAC expert involved.  An HVAC expert can evaluate your situation and give you options about your particular situation.  It may be necessary to split the 2 vents entirely but I don't know if your space would allow that.  If you would like information on who to contact, call your local Home Depot and ask for the At Home Services Department.  

Thank you for your inquiry.

Posted 2015-03-17T16:22:09+0000  by Char_HD_CHI
Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question