Sign In to join the community | Help
Install & Replace

Answered

Spacer board behind over-the-range microwave

Hi.  I'm purchasing an OTR microwave that is slightly taller than the microwave being replaced.  There is a tiled backsplash that goes up higher than the bottom of the new microwave.

I was going to install a 30x15x1/2" wood board to the studs that I can then attach the microwave's mounting plate to so I can avoid having to try to cut the backsplash. 

Is there a particular type of wood I should be getting that will be able to adequately support the microwave?  It's an LG that weighs ~60lbs. 

Thanks. 

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2011-05-12T21:18:24+0000  by rk260395 rk260395

Hi rk260395, this is Mike The Home Depot Answer Man, welcome to the community.

I would recommend a piece of exterior grade plywood. Exterior grade plywood has a glue that is weather proof. This will prevent cooking steam from causing the wood to delaminate.

I would also recommend you stain or paint the portion of the wood that is exposed to match the rest of your cabinetry.

Be sure to securely attach the wood to the studs with screws. I would use at least 1 ½ or 2 inch screws. Place at least two screws into each stud to make sure the wood is secure.

If possible to maximize the strength of the mounting, try to place the mounting bracket so the screws on it penetrate the studs as well.

Good luck with your project.

Mike,

Best Answer

Posted 2011-05-12T23:03:14+0000  by Mike_HD_OC

Thanks a lot.  And I do plan on screwing in the back board to the stud as well as the mounting bracket.  Not exactly relishing the thought of a 60lb microwave crashing down on a ceramic stove top.  :)

Posted 2011-05-13T14:44:03+0000  by rk260395

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+