Sign In to join the community | Help
Paint

Spray, Roll, or Brush???

Deck staining season is in full swing and one of the most common questions I hear this time of year is, "Do I spray, roll, or brush to apply deck stain?"

The unspoken question often is, "Which one will allow me (at my skill level) to make the deck look good while spending the least amount of time on the project?"

Let's face it, renewing the finish on your deck can be a labor intensive DIY project.

When done properly it includes removing grilling stains, dirt, and mildew from the wood as well as applying two coats of stain to renew the look of your outdoor oasis.

So, which one do you choose?

I break the project down by size ... small decks may be done with a stain brush alone, medium decks may be done with a roller or stain pad and a brush, and large decks are worth breaking out the sprayer.

The time spent on a small or medium deck simply doesn't justify the set-up and clean-up time required when you are spraying. Large decks require a significant amount of hand-labor and you may actually complete the deck more quickly spraying.

Sprayers are particularly useful when lattice is involved.

In fact, if your project has several panels of lattice, you may choose to spray even if your deck is small or medium size.

Your Paint Associate or Tool Rental Associate can explain how to spray and which sprayer to choose.

Personally, I always recommend DIYers look at the low end of the commercial line because these tools produce much greater utility with only a small increase in budget.

I made this video for Krocheska, a member of the Community who said, "I am a week-end female warrior who wants to make re-painting my house easier ..."

Viewing this may help you decide between purchasing a sprayer or sticking with a roller and a brush.

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2011-07-05T16:48:22+0000  by Pat_HD_ATL Pat_HD_ATL

Topic
Categories+