Sign In to join the community | Help
Lawn & Garden

St. Augustine Grass

I have a section of my yard that just will not grow as the rest of the yard.  Tested the soil yesterday and the Ph level was 6.5; Phosphorus was adequate towards deficient; Nitrogen was deficient towards depleted.   Potash was good.  I have tried all kinds of things to fix the poor growth.  Considering excavating this area and replace with new soil and sod.  How deep should I go to remove top soil?  What top soil to use to replace before a lay new sod?

Thanks!

AWM

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2013-05-19T19:27:38+0000  by awm awm

Hey awm.

Here in Atlanta, we have a nutrient rich clay soil where water does not absorb more than 3 or 4 inches, therefore St Augustine grass will not go much deeper than that here.

In an area with a sandy soil, roots will travel deeper because it is much easier and they must search harder for nutrients.

I would say that if you have a sandy soil that you would probably need to get the top 6 inches of soil out and replace it with a similar soil from somewhere else in the yard. You could get the Scotts Seeding Soil which is pH neutral and that would also work fine.

If you are in a more clay soil then I would remove at least the top 4 inches of soil.

Did your soil test show any contaminants?

Scotts 1.5 cu. ft. Turf Builder Seeding Soil

Posted 2013-05-19T20:58:28+0000  by Ingar_HD_ATL

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+