Sign In to join the community | Help
Outdoors

Stain for Privacy Fence

Just got a wood Privacy Fence installed in November.  Someone has offered me Light Gray Stain for the fence (2 Gallons) - My house is tan brick - I'd love to take advantage of free stain - but need to know if I can change the color?  Can I add another color of stain or will this ruin it?
Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2015-04-14T15:52:34+0000  by SherryR SherryR

Sherry R,

You can alter the color of your stain, but I suggest that you bring it right to the paint desk of your local Home Depot and ask the experts on site.

Is it a solid color stain?

How many square feet of paint will you need? If you alter the free can color, and you need more you will have to find more of that stain and add the exact amount to the new can to get the color you achieved when you added more color to the free cans.

Calculate how much paint you will need to finish the entire job.

The paint associate will be able to tell you the age of the cans, and if it is able to be altered.

I hope it ends up that you have enough to do the whole job and you can change the color....just stop by your local Home Depot with your cans.       Good Luck, Maureen
Posted 2015-04-14T17:32:47+0000  by Maureen_HD_BOS
Thanks for asking the qualifiers Maureen,

Paints and stains sold at The Home Depot are commonly adjusted.

What you should expect is the ability to modify a color in a general direction.

However, I resist the urge to say we'll match another color.

Three things make paints and stains adjustable:

1) If the tints used to make both colors are similar, or the same;
2) If the amount of one tint is not considerably more in one color than the other; and
3) If the "Base" is the same ... usually there are white, medium, and deep bases.

The thing most in your favor is that we will always try to make your stain a useful color ... even if we can't make your exact color.

One gallon of stain covers approximately 400-square feet.

Multiply the height and length of your fence to calculate square feet.

FINALLY:
As they say, the proof is in the pudding.

In your case, the only certain way to find out is simply try.

We're glad you shop at The Home Depot.

WHAT IF?
What if they can only get close?

Use the two free, adjusted gallon on the outside of your fence and buy exactly the color you want for the side facing the house.
Posted 2015-04-14T17:51:37+0000  by Pat_HD_ATL

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+