Sign In to join the community | Help
Paint

Stained Concrete Floors

I have stained concrete floors in the downstairs of my house that have lost its shine.  How do I go about re-shining it on a Saturday?  What will need?

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2011-01-26T20:10:59+0000  by justin67 justin67

Wow, Thanks for the Help Mr Jay!

Posted 2011-01-29T01:45:49+0000  by SpiderMew

SpiderMew,

Good question! At first we were a bit perplexed on this one, but fear not...for we assembled en masse to help you out on this one! Our team out here in the Chicago area, as well asFoodieken and RicksPicks from out in Orange County put our heads together on this one to help give a few different solutions...

1. Hot Iron and Brown Paper Bag: This method will be similar to heating the concrete like you said you had tried, but hopefully the buffer of the paper bag will help to actually suck up some of the wax stain as it heats. It's a common remedy for fabric stains, and seems to be popular for removing other types of stains in concrete.
  2. Concrete and Masonry Stripper: The Behr company makes a great product called Concrete and Masonry Stripper #992. I called up the company and asked them about this question, and they recommended that you try this out first. It's good for removing multiple layers of stain or paint, even industrial coatings!
  3. Muriatic Acid or Concrete Etcher: This is heavy duty stuff we're talking about here.Be sure to wear protective equipment. This will actually eat away at the concrete, so it can take you down to where the stain is and remove that area completely, but you'll have to patch it up later on. Only try this as a last resort.

It's an interesting situation you have there, so hopefully one of these will either solve it for you or at the least, point you in the right direction. Please let us know if you get any questions about it or to let us know when that pesky stain is gone!

Best of luck!

Posted 2011-01-28T21:11:34+0000  by Jay_HD_CHI

I have a simular problem. There is a rough finished concrete walkway that is stained from candel wax. Ive tryed melting and scrubbing it off, ive tryed bleach and ive tryed boiling hot water and scraping it off. None of thats worked.

I dont know what to do now..

Posted 2011-01-27T19:38:28+0000  by SpiderMew

Hey justin67 I hope we can get that stained concrete looking new again. 

I am unsure of exactly how your floor is finished currently, if it is stained and polished with no type of top coat (polyurethane) then this will be an easy fix. 

BEHR makes an excellent wet-look sealer which can be applied on top of your stained and previously sealed concrete. If your concrete floors are smooth, this sealer will give them a very glossy finish when applied, the more coats you apply, the glossier the finish (4 coats max). 

behr.JPG

You can read about preparation and application at BEHR's website HERE if you are going to use a stripper/degreaser on your existing floors to prep for this application you will want to test in an inconspicuous area before doing the entire floor as they may discolor the stained concrete. 

Good luck with your project Justin67, let me know if you need any more assistance!

-Blake

Posted 2011-01-26T22:41:05+0000  by BlakeTheDiyGuy

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+