Sign In to join the community | Help
Paint

Staining

What is the proper method to apply stain to outdoor wood(deck)?

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2013-08-21T12:56:05+0000  by legos5 legos5

Welcome to our community Legos5!

Thank you for your question! The best way to apply stain is to cut in around the edges with an angled paint brush and then, while it's still wet, either use a roller or a deck pad for the broad parts of the deck. You will want to make sure you are applying the stain the the direction of the wood grain.

Depending on the stain that you are using, you may have to apply two coats. Read the instructions on the stain that you have purchased to see how many coats are required.

If you have any more questions, please let us know!

Christine :smileyhappy:

Posted 2013-08-21T13:14:37+0000  by Christine_HD_ATL

Perhaps the most important thing is to never, if at all possible, stain in the sun and/or in  heat of the day. The water based stains set extremely fast and you will not be able to keep a "wet edge" under full sun and hot boards. If is also not good with oil based products, as the solvents are "flashing out" too fast.

To this end, often early mornings are best. the cooler temps and higher humidity act in your favor to slow down the setting of the stain. Slow drying is imprtant by almost all paints. You want the stain to have time to penetrate. If the solvents flash out immediately, good penetration is not occurring. Also,  specially by the solid hide stains, cross linking of the stain resins and pigments is occurring. If the stain "dries" instantly, improper cross linking of the molecules is not occurring, leading to premature stain or paint failure.

Overcast days are great for staining, as long as you are reasonably sure that it will not rain for 24 hours. Fences are somewhat more tolerant, as rain cannot pool on it, but it is critical that decks be fully dry and reasonably cured before water is allowed to sit on it.

Further, in the interest of keeping a wet edge, it is wise to only carry a couple boards at a time along their entire length. If you try to carry several boards at once, you isk getting lap marks and will end up with a checkerboard appearance on the deck.

My personal technique is to brush  the gaps between the boards first, followed by using the brush to assure that the "craters' around the screw heads have been coated, and  then stain the tops using a stain pad, brush,  or roller followed by "back-brushing". Rolling alone without back-brushing leaves an entirely different appearance and tends to leave too much stain on the surface. Brushing also tends to force the stain down into the grain and nooks and crannies of the boards.

If using an transparent or semi-transparent oil stain, it is critical that you look back at what had been done 10 or 15 minutes earlier. If stain is still sitting on top of the boards, the excess stain MUST be wiped off . Excess stain will cause shiney spots and areas that will be sticky for months! Also, be extremely careful with oily rags, especially if the stain contains linseed oil. They WILL self-ignite if not handled properly. Ideally, they should be put in a metal can, wet down, and then the metal lid be put on securely.

Having gone through this literally hundreds of times over the last 40 years, I chose to put in an exposed aggregate patio at my new house!  :smileywink:

Posted 2013-08-21T21:23:08+0000  by ordjen

I put together a pretty complete article on this as I actually just stained my deck last weekend, might help!

Posted 2013-08-28T21:51:11+0000  by lan99

Hello legos5!

"Do I Spray, Roll, or Brush?" ... one of the most common questions during deck season.

In a recent post, I published a video that shows the steps and answers that ever so common question.

Click the link to jump to that thread.

Posted 2013-08-29T13:36:06+0000  by Pat_HD_ATL

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+