Sign In to join the community | Help
Paint

Staining Particle Board and Other Finishes

Hi, I'm moving in 4 weeks and I want to stain all my furniture so my place resembles more of an apartment rather than a dorm room. I have a bookshelf that is made of particle board and a desk and dresser (originally wood) with a lacquer finish. Is it possible to remove the lacquer finish and stain both the particle board, desk, and dresser an oak color OR do I unfortunately have to paint the furniture?

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2012-07-08T23:39:25+0000  by medstudent15 medstudent15

Welcome!:smileyhappy:

Unfortunately most particle board material either has a finish that can't easily be removed (like lacquer) or is covered with a very thin sheet of finished materials.  Either way - staining is not recommended (or possible).

The only solution is to prepare the surface by cleaning and lightly sanding. Then coat it with either a paint or stain/polyurethane mix.

Paint: Prime the surface with an oil-based primer to ensure adhesion of the paint. Paint the primed surface with a premium quality product like the BEHR ULTRA as close to the wood tone you had in mind.  If you want the look of real wood - you can use a graining tool to simulate natural wood grain.

oak color.jpg        graining tool.jpg wood grain.jpg

Stain/Poly: This technique will only work if the surface already has wood grain visible on the original surface.  POLYSHADES by Minwax has many colors that will enhance the existing look and color of your furniture. 

polyshades-stain-polyurethane-finish_190x160.jpg

Hope this helps.

paiintpro.JPG

Posted 2012-07-09T12:58:09+0000  by Kevin_HD_ATL

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+