Sign In to join the community | Help
Outdoors

Staining a deck

My husband and I are planning to stain the floor of the deck. Right now it's bare treated wood. Other than cleaning it do we need to apply anything such as a sealant before we stain? Does the underside of the floor need to be stained or treated in any way? We also have some algae. Is it necessary to use borate in addition to cleaning and staining the wood? Thanks.
Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2016-05-04T18:06:29+0000  by Sara1013 Sara1013

Hello Sara1013,

Behr All-In-One Deck Cleaner kills mold and eliminates mildew stains, and opens the pores of the wood so it will accept stain.

This product is the only deck prep you'll need for new wood.

Apply with a scrub brush and rinse with a garden hose within ten-minutes ... to not allow this cleaner to dry.

If you must split the project into smaller sections to maintain the ten-minute rinse timeline, do so.

Once rinsed, allow the surface to air dry about six-hours in summer temps and then apply stain.

Behr's entire line of deck stains provide both colorant and water proofing, so you don't need to apply anything else.

Two coats are recommended for their entire line of stains.

I prefer to roll the walking surface with a 3/8ths nap roller, but the instructions say you can spray, brush, or roll.

If the underside of your deck is exposed to sunlight, stain applied there will prevent ultraviolet light from turning the boards gray.

Otherwise, the underside of the deck doesn't require coating.

If your one application of cleaner does not completely remove the algae, apply additional coats to that area until the algae is removed.

High pressure rinse is not recommended with Behr All-In-One, so stick with a spray nozzle on the end of your garden hose.

FINALLY:
Behr sells half-pint samples, so take time to bring home a color sample before purchasing gallons of stain.

Hope this helps,

Pat InPaint

Posted 2016-05-04T19:12:11+0000  by Pat_HD_ATL

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+