Sign In to join the community | Help
Paint

Staining my fence

i just recently bought a new house and the fence looks terrible.  what all is involved in trying to stain/paint a backyard fence? 

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2011-02-07T18:01:37+0000  by bountyhtr bountyhtr

Hello Burnette and welcome to The Community!

You don't have to wait a year any longer!

In the past, pressure treated wood was heavily saturated and required 90-days or more to release the moisture.

Today, the most common injection systems use much less moisture, so the wait time has been reduced to about six-weeks.

TEST IT: Regardless whether your manufacturer used the old or new system to pressure treat wood, there is a simple test. Take a nail and begin to drive it into the wood. If you see a ring of water around the entry point, your wood is too wet to stain. If water does not ring around the nail, you're ready to apply a mildewcide/cleaner and then stain.

You'll note that I said, "apply a mildewcide/cleaner and then stain."

If you stain without first killing the mildew, you'll invite mildew blooms to grow through your freshly stains surface and discolor the new stain within a few months.

Behr All-In-One No. 63 contains oxalic acid; an effective mildew killer that rinses off with a hose-end garden nozzle.

APPLICATION TEMPERATURE and WEATHER: Deck stains are penetrating sealers designed to absorb deep into the surface. They commonly create a weatherproof finish that also carries your color into the wood.

Application temperatures are most commonly between forty-degrees Fahrenheit and ninety-degrees Fahrenheit. Manufacturers also commonly say, "Allow at least six-hour dry-time before expected rain."

If you follow these basic guidelines, your new finish will absorb properly and provide years of protection and beauty.

FINALLY: Store your remaining stain inside the garage or in a location where temperatures are relatively constant and it will not freeze. Use your smartphone to take a picture of the can label and save it until you're ready to clean and re-stain your fence in several years. These two steps will ensure that your remnant product is available for periodic touch-up and your label survives so you can accurately recreate both the product and the color in the future.

Thoroughly re-shake old cans of stain before applying.

Posted 2012-12-06T17:04:13+0000  by Pat_HD_ATL

How long should I waite to put a stain/sealant on my wood fence? Its been up for about a month now and the temp here has been crazy lately. One day it will be mid 70's and the next the high will be in the 50's. I write about the temp because if I'm not mistaken, stains have temperature recommendations on them. I have heard I should waite a year before staining and I have heard waite about 3 months. I have no idea what to believe.

Posted 2012-12-06T16:05:11+0000  by Burnette

Hello Odom,

It's a Great Day at The Home Depot!

Your Gothic untreated fencing is a perfect DIY project. Check with your Store ... It should be available in pre-made sections. If you take this approach, you can simplify your treatment by cleaning and applying stain to each section before hanging. I'll discuss this approach, but you can take the same steps after the fence is installed.

Click this link for an explanation of Which Deck Prep Do You Need? The video will take you through several options and discusses using sample-size containers of stain to test and then select colors.

Once you are satisfied that your fence sections are clean and dry, set up a "production line" near the install site. Use plastic to protect any plants in the area and consider applying your stain with an airless sprayer from Tool Rental.

Sprayers make quick work of projects like yours and the cost of renting is well worth the time you will save. 

Complete each section, front and back, and then do the same for the support posts and gates.

With your project stained and dry ahead of the install, you will reap the benefits of knowing each piece is well protected when installed.

Don't forget to stop by Hardware and look at the Gate Hinges and Latches. An Associate there can explain the benefits of several different styles available.

Posted 2011-04-12T12:39:37+0000  by Pat_HD_ATL
I am looking at getting the gothic untreated fencing and treating it myself. What steps would be required to this?
Posted 2011-04-09T17:04:49+0000  by Odom

Hey Tom, Jeff here from The Home Depot out in Chicago.

An all too common issue when installing a new pressure treated fence, I’m glad you decided to ask before going ahead with your project and risking poor adhesion or appearance. Being its been such a short time since you’ve installed your fence I’m assuming you don’t want to wait the suggested 365 days of outdoor weathering prior to staining. If I’m right then Behr makes a great product called 2-in-1 Wood Prep No.63, it can be found in the paint department and it is made to solve your exact problem. This product will remove not only the greenish tint but also a number of other surface contaminants that may affect how your fence takes the stain, all while opening the pores of the wood for a longer lasting finish.

For more information on this particular product visit; Wood Prep No.63

Now once you are ready to apply a stain you will need to decide on what type of stain you are looking to use. Generally there are 3 types; transparent, semi-transparent, and solid stain, all of these offer different looks and degrees of protection. Stop by your local The Home Depot’s paint department, they have an awesome sample board where you can see exactly how the stain is going to turn out once it’s on your fence being pictures don’t help nearly as much its really best to see the colors in person.

Well, sounds like you got a nice warm weather project ahead of you, just keep in mind where ever you are located the surface temperature of the fence be at least 40°F(most common but varies from product to product be sure to check label) and have no rain in the forecast for at least 24hours afterwards. Let us know how everything goes and if you have any more questions be sure to post up and well be more than happy to help.

Posted 2011-02-16T17:13:51+0000  by HDwetPaint

We have our new treated wood fence up for about a month. All the boards are still greenish looking. How long do we need to wait before we can stain and get good results. Which of the Behr stains shound we use. we want it dark. black or daek gray

Posted 2011-02-12T19:24:31+0000  by TomSpann

Hi, and welcome to the community.

You will have to pressure wash the surface of the wood before any staining should be done. Below is a brief video that walks you through the pressure washing process.

You will want to use a cleaner to aid in the prep of the wood as indicated in the link below.

http://community.homedepot.com/t5/Exterior-Paint-Stain/Which-Deck-Prep-Do-You-Need/td-p/371

After the fence has completely dried then you can apply a stain.  

Stains come in four types:

• Transparent - a clear wood protector.
  • Wood toned
  • Semi-transparent - stain with a little bit of color that still allows you to see the wood grain.
  • Solid - looks like a paint, but acts like a stain - penetrating the wood pores.
behr stain.JPG

http://www.behr.com/Behr/home#vgnextoid=3f85f11390a59110VgnVCM1000006b0910acRCRD;channel=HEADER_NAV;view=13

Posted 2011-02-07T21:04:31+0000  by Kevin_HD_ATL

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+