Sign In to join the community | Help
Paint

Staining or painting brick mortar

What is the best technique and product(s) to stain or paint brick mortar on an indoor fireplace?

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2011-11-28T18:22:38+0000  by santaselves santaselves

Its going to be a little tricky - being that both the brick and the morter are very poures.  The best thing to do is "repointing"  the old morter - which involves just applying new morter over the top of the existing.  That can get messy though.

I reccomend BEHR's Masonary paint - matched to a color that you like.

masonary paint.jpg

With a small 1inch angled brush carefuly paint the spaces between the brick - paying close attention to keeping it off the brick.

It may take a little time, but when you are through it should look great (just in time for the holidays):smileyvery-happy:

Hope this helped.

paiintpro.JPG

Posted 2011-11-28T19:02:18+0000  by Kevin_HD_ATL

Hello Santa's Elves!

I'll bet you're busy getting ready for Christmas!

Hey, I think we can make your indoor mortar renovation much easier.

The Home Depot sells Grout Renew in a great selection of colors and it is specifically made for your project.

Grout Renew.jpgHow easy could your solution be!?!

Just pick your color and apply ... being cautious to recolor only the mortar line without getting colorant on the brick.

Another benefit of this product is it contains a mold inhibitor ... your mortar will look like new and will be protected from mold for years to come.

This product is commonly found among the tile and grout selections in the Flooring Department.

NOTE: Although your project is about renovation, other community members may be pleased to learn that they can add color to their cement products while they are being mixed for new construction. Liquid Cement Color is another great way to add color to a cement project. Simply follow the instructions and add to your cement while mixing. This product is commonly found with the cement and mortar supplies in Building Materials.

Liquid Cement Color.jpgFor coloring cement used in new construction!

Posted 2011-11-29T15:19:55+0000  by Pat_HD_ATL

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+