Sign In to join the community | Help
Lawn & Garden

Stakes after transplanting Lemon trees

I bought Lisbon and Eureka lemon trees from home depot. Should I use stakes to support the young trees until they grow up a bit?

Thanks in advance!
Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2018-04-24T05:50:35+0000  by sunnygal sunnygal

Hi Sunnygal.

Thank you for your great question.

Staking your new tree for support is always a good idea if the newly planted tree needs it.  Until the root system is established, the young trees may need support, as the canopy gets bigger, especially if you are in a wind prone area and the SanTana winds start to blow.

Be sure to keep your new trees staked at least until the trunk and branches have a chance to thicken up and mature.  Be sure to keep at least 90% of the fruit off the tree for the first year.  This will give the root system a chance to develop and it will also keep the weight off the thinner, younger branches.

Be sure to plant your trees in a full sun location and in a well-drained soil.  Apply a generous amount a good quality mulch around the base of the tree out to the drip line. A newly planted tree may need watering every day for the first week after planting, depending on the weather.

After the first week, it may need watering several times week at the drip line for the next several weeks, again, depending on the weather. 

After about 4 weeks, you may be able to water just once a week at the drip line.  You will want to deep water your trees so that you will get water not only to the surface root system but also to the deeper roots as well.  Once your trees start to mature, you should be able to cut your watering back to about once a week.

Here is a great YouTube link that I found about growing your lemon trees:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PRzD0W0MB30

Please let us know if we can be of further assistance.

Rick_HD_OC

Posted 2018-04-24T17:40:34+0000  by Rick_HD_OC

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+