Sign In to join the community | Help
Bath & Faucets

Standing shower removal and floor cover up

Hello im wanting to remove a shower in my master bathroom but im not sure what to do with the pipes that come out of the wall for the faucets do I just cap them off or do I have to completely remove the pipes from the floor. also i want to cover up the floor in in the bathroom but im not sure what the best way of going about that either. any help would be great thanks.IMAG0187.jpg

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2012-05-28T00:59:36+0000  by almightyjoe82 almightyjoe82

Hello almightyjoe82.  Welcome to the Community!

Interesting floor...  The uneven texture will cause issues with covering it up.  I can see 2 choices here.

First, if all you want to do is add a thin layer of something like Allure planks or vinyl tile squares then leveling off the floor should work.  It is the recessed grout lines compared to the uneven brick heights that make for a texture that will transfer to the new skin that you want to get rid of.  Thicker flooring such as wood laminate might raise the height more than you want, though mortaring in thin ceramic tile could work well with a transition strip at the door.

Second would be to remove the flooring in that room and start over.  If what looks like bricks and mortar really is, this would be a lot of work.  I'm going to ask aboveaveragejoe and Ask_Mr_Jay to take a look at your picture and see if they have any suggestions.  Neither of them are in today, but sometime this week they may be able to help you further on this issue.

As for the shower pipes, all you need to do is cap them off.  I would try to drain the pipes by opening up faucets in the lowest part of the house with the water main valve closed.  Leave as much height near the now removed shower valve as possible and cap the pipes there, (inside the wall).  This actually will benefit your plumbing system by adding additional water hammer protection due to the air trapped in the now unused pipes.  There is no need to remove the pipes.

I hope this helps,

Newf.

Posted 2012-05-29T16:34:29+0000  by Chris_HD_CHI

i really appreciate all your help and i can't wait to hear what the other guys have to say. Thank you

Posted 2012-05-31T01:30:08+0000  by almightyjoe82

Hey there almightyjoe82,

Welcome to the community!~

Thanks for your patience in us getting back to you, hopefully we can get this problem solved with the three of us working together on it now.

In a perfect world, what you'd be looking to use is a self-level compound. However, brick can be tricky to cover sometimes as I've seen it sealed/coated with Tung Oil before, and that makes it difficult for any compound you'd put over it to adhere. While you could spend the time striping and grinding that tung layer off, you'd probably be better removing the the brick all together.

Not to mention, the floor height would be a major concern for anything you'd put over the brick. You would have to cut into the jamb, raise the trimwork around the floor and cut the door down as well. The Allure Newf mentioned should be able to cover a floor with grout recesses less than 1/8" of an inch, so you may be okay covering it with that. But again, you'll want to check the floor height difference.

If you have a floor vent in the room, see if you can check how thick this brick is and what the subfloor underneath looks like, by removing the vent and looking at the exposed sides of it. I'm guessing this is on a first floor slab, but you never know.

Check out and see how thick the layer of brick that we're talking about is and also check how deep the recess of your grout lines are. From there we can decide upon a good plan of attack = )

Posted 2012-05-31T15:11:10+0000  by Jay_HD_CHI

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+