Sign In to join the community | Help
Project Ideas: Garden Club

Starting a raised bed garden at a nursing home

I am a resident in a nursing home in Baltimore MD. I am attempting to start a raised bed garden at the nursing home. I need advice on how to get everything that I need to start with a limited budget. I want to do everything organically for the good of my fellow residents who are much older than I am. Any ideas and advice would be greatly appreciated.
Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2017-03-06T23:36:26+0000  by AlexDix AlexDix

null 72 in. VegTrug Medium - Natural FSC100%

Greetings AlexDix,

Gardening is a wonderful activity for everyone! As a store associate, I help quite a few ageing customers with their gardening needs. I am finding that as some of my customers grow older, and some now have canes, they are finding it more and more difficult to get on their knees in the garden and get back up, with ease. The love of gardening is ever-present with them all, so we look for alternative ways for them to flower garden and harvest a vegetable crop.

Raised garden beds ease the everyday chores of tending beds the fresh soil of a raised bed also cut down on the need to weed, and all organic soils reduce the risk of chemicals in the soil.

The Home Depot offers many options for raised garden beds, with choices from cedar to composite kits; I think you will find a perfect pre-measured, safe option kit, to suit  the needs and enjoyment for you and your fellow residents. The raised bed in the image above, would allow for a wheel chair to be pushed right up to the garden edge.

Home Depot also has the supplies if you decide to build a raised bed from the plans of your choice. I have taken part in many community raised garden projects in my HD career, many hands, tools and hours are needed for a project built from scratch, it can be done for sure, I would just like you to consider the kit option as well. The safety precautions for the use and growing in the raised garden kits (have already been taken) to ensure the best gardening experience.

I hope this information and links will help you get growing, we would love to see what you decide to build, and let us know if you have any further questions.   Maureen

Posted 2017-03-07T15:13:44+0000  by Maureen_HD_BOS

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+