Sign In to join the community | Help
Lawn & Garden

Starting my lawn over.

Hello,

I recently moved into a home that has a yard full of weeds, little grass real grass, and moles in the back yard. The previous homeowner also had dogs that dug, so I need to fill in holes with dirt.

It is of course now the beginning of February, I live in Middle TN, and the weather is unusually warm. I never got to do anything with the yard in the fall, either. What I am wanting to do is kill off the weeds, fill in the holes, and seed new grass within the coming weeks.

What is the best way to go about doing this, and any recommended products? I would ideally like Bermuda grass, but I am on a budget and really just want nice, non-crabgrass-filled-with-weeds- grass.

Thank you for the help.

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2012-02-06T17:35:25+0000  by Fish31 Fish31

Hey Fish31. Ken here in the Chicago area. I extend a hearty welcome to the Community.

This is going to be a fun project that you will be really proud of when it’s done. Let’s

get started.

The first thing to do is get rid of the weeds. You can dig and pull or spray, your choice. It

depends on how organic you want to go. If you spray you can use a product with Glyphosate

(Roundup) in that it kills both the root and the plant above; or you can use a less toxic

alternative that just top kills. You then have to dig the root out. If the weeds are really tall,

mow them down and when the new growth pops out, spray at that time.

Now you should be able to see the mole hills. You can trap the moles or you can use

deterrents that make your yard a place they don’t want to be. Deterrents come in gas type,

bait type, and electronic type.

Now let’s put in your Bermuda lawn. Instead of me rambling on taking up space, here is a

link to a site that explains how to establish a Bermuda lawn using seed, which would be

the least expensive. Also, here is a link to a Bermuda grass maintenance schedule. This will

give you a yearlong schedule of what to do once your lawn is in place. I hope this helps.

Good luck and keep us posted on your progress. Take care.

Posted 2012-02-06T21:17:43+0000  by Ken_HD_CHI

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+