Sign In to join the community | Help
Paint

Answered

Step-By-Step Faux Finishing Antique Blue

How To Faux Finish A Bathroom Vanity

Tasked with creating a unique antique blue bathroom vanity from an unfinished birch 30-inch base, my customer Jimmy demonstrated his artistic talent ... taking multiple steps over several days to create this one-of-a-kind vanity base.

Jimmy shared his "How To" steps saying,

"This was a simple unfinished birch 30" vanity.

I applied 2 coats Zinsser 1-2-3 spray can primer sealer, then distressed corners and edges with 60-grit sandpaper, a wood chisel, and utility knife.

Spot painted edges and various areas with  Rust-oleum Painter's Touch 2X Ultra Cover Satin Wildflower Blue spray paint, then added 3 coats Rust-oleum Painter's Touch 2X Ultra Cover Satin Aqua spray paint.

I let it dry overnight and then took 60-grit sandpaper and scuffed corners and edges, and used a blunt edged object to crack/dent the paint around the door and drawers.

I sanded through the top color coat to the bright blue below, I also sanded a few spots down to the white primer.

I took the edge of the chisel and pulled deep scratches into several areas.

Varathane Sunbleached Wood Stain was wiped into corners and edges. I carefully applied to raw wood areas.

A clean rag was used to remove and thin the color so the blue would shine through.

Simple gray latex paint mixed with water-based glaze was applied randomly. I also thinned out the glaze and spattered into random areas.

The vanity dried and was then clear coated with several layers of Varathane Quick Dry Poly which will yellow and give the vanity a slight green sheen.

The top will be two-cm white quartz with a white sink."

THANKS JIMMY!

Apparently, he regularly creates similar specialty pieces.

If we're lucky, he'll come back to The Community and share more of his handiwork.

Thanks again, Jimmy, for taking time to share your step-by-step DIY expertise!

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2015-07-23T16:19:28+0000  by Pat_HD_ATL Pat_HD_ATL

If you like Step-By-Step Faux, you may also like the video in:

Best Answer

Posted 2015-07-23T18:38:48+0000  by Pat_HD_ATL
Jimmy's Antique Blue Faux reminds me of Savannah's craft table.

If you love restoration craft, you should take a peak:

Posted 2015-07-30T20:54:57+0000  by Pat_HD_ATL

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+