Sign In to join the community | Help
Build & Remodel

Storage Cabinet Plans and a little DIY help for a newbie

I have a one bedroom apartment, no workspace but i wanted to know if it would be cheaper to build a cabinet storage unit similiar to the one below or build one to my dimensions

http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1v/R-100573854/h_d2/ProductDisplay?langId=-1&storeId=10051&catalogId=10053

I would perfer one with double doors and bigger, but im not sure on the pricing.

I dont have any woodcutting tools or space for that matter so i wanted to know if it would be possible to give the dimensions to an HD associate and have them cut it?

If someone could help me on the pricing and plans for a project like this that would be awesome, Thanks for reading :)

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2011-10-12T01:14:59+0000  by beeayche beeayche

Hello beeayche,

Welcome to the community.

I love it when people are willing to do new things. This is a fairly simple project if you’re not afraid of a few power tools. I know you mentioned that you are limited in space and that you don’t have the tools to cut the wood but you will need a drill and a hammer if you’re going to take on this project.

Home Depot will cut the melamine to size but you will have to pre-drill and screw them together. Most stores will not do precise cuts but the cuts they do are pretty accurate so they should work for this project.

You will need 3 - sheets of ¾” melamine, 1 - sheet of 1/8” white panel board, 24 - 1 ¾” melamine screws with caps,  4 - hinges, and a few finishing nails.

Here is a diagram of a sample that I drew up for your project. You can adjust the sizes to fit your needs.

closet unit.JPG

I would go to each product link that I’ve given you to add up the total cost to make this unit and then compare it to a like item that you can purchase that is ready to assemble.  

Here is a link to a cabinet that has the same dimensions as the one I drew up so you can compare the price.

Even as a woodworker in my opinion this would be a project that I would purchase ready to be assembled and save a lot of time and possibly some money.:smileywink:

Thanks for your question and I look forward to seeing you around the community.

Please let me know if I can help with anything other projects.  

Posted 2011-10-12T23:09:07+0000  by Christine_HD_OC

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+