Sign In to join the community | Help
Install & Replace

Storm door in a mobile home

Hello having a problem with my storm door. I had new doors put on the back of my mobile home so I could open the back door.Had the mobile home door taken off and a regular door that opens inward and a storm door. My home is settling and my storm door is leaving a gap at the top. Can I nail some type of stripping at the top to block the air coming in  or is there a way to adjust the door to close the small gap.

Thanks for your help

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2011-01-16T13:42:26+0000  by 1Mom 1Mom

Hi 1Mom – I want to welcome you to the community. Thanks for stopping by and thank you for the question.

Storm door issues are usually pretty simple fixes once the source of the problem has been identified.  And thanks to you, we can go straight to the solution.

Storm door frames basically have three sections to them (2 sides and a top “T” bar). Check to see if the gap you were referring to is even spaced or wide at one end. If the space is even, then the upper “T” bar needs adjusting. Remove the screws that hold it in place. With the storm door closed, lower the “T” bar down just enough to cover the gap. Re-attach the upper piece to the wood frame with the screws. 

top storm door.jpg     stormdoor frame.jpg

If the gap is wide at one end and smaller at the other, and the door still closes properly then you will want to lower the “T” bar at the side that is wide. Re-attach the upper piece to the wood frame with the screws.

Please let me know if this helped you. Keep us up to date with the progress and stop back by soon.

Posted 2011-01-16T15:37:24+0000  by Kevin_HD_ATL

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+