Sign In to join the community | Help
Flooring

Subfloor & wood exposed

Pulled up green carpet under our newly purchased condo to discover hardwood floors...and subflooring concrete and wood too by the kitchen. Seems they layed down flooring then later demoded a largr column that connected livingroom to kitchen. See picture. I would to pull up carpet anf expose wood floors but need advice on how to fix the exposed subfloor. I can contuine the kitchen tiles out, but do noy want to just pour leveliner over the area.... help!
Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2013-11-06T03:56:28+0000  by condonewbie condonewbie

20131105_144333.jpg20131009_123849.jpg20131105_144325.jpg

Posted 2013-11-06T04:11:53+0000  by condonewbie

Hi condonewbie,

Welcome to the community!

From what it looks like, you probably have laminate or real wood click-lock flooring in your kitchen, not solid hardwood. I say this because from the image, the plank looks to be a bit thin. As you may or may not know, both laminate and click lock floors float over the existing subfloor.

engineered @ click-lock flooring.JPG

Fixing the subfloor can be done, but it is up to your final say as to what you want to do to cover it up. I'm assuming you  want to keep the wood/laminate floor as is.

You have several options, but as for continuing the planks over, you'd have to know the manufacturer of the floors in order for you to continue the pattern.

More specifically, did you have an idea of how you wanted to cover up the subfloor....the carpet or the wood? Let us know, because only this will determine how it can be finished.

Please update us, and I hope to hear from you again.

Joseph

Posted 2013-11-06T15:01:51+0000  by Joseph_HD_ATL

Wood- Lamiate wood or click is fine- I think they got them from IKEA since the cabinets and bathroom is from them. How would i fix the subfloor? Pour Leverier?

Posted 2013-11-07T04:41:07+0000  by condonewbie

In terms of fixing the subfloor, yes you would need to use a floor leveling compound to ensure whatever floor on top is stable.

Shown and linked below, you'll need both a primer and compound to make this work. Just as important, is making sure the existing subfloor is clean.

Once you use these items and smooth out the compound with a patching trowel and let dry, you are now set to place a new floor above it.

If the floor was by IKEA as you say and you want to use it to cover up the area, you'll need to find the exact model/type in order for you to continue the wood floors over that spot.

To find out what you have, you can remove one plank (provided it snapped in place without glue) and you can read the information on the back of it. It should have a manuf. number and information so you can track it down.

This is very important, as all brands have their own thickness, widths, and tongue and grooves. Even if you find one that looks similar, it will need to meet the criteria just mentioned in order for it to work properly.

Please let me know if you have any further questions,

Joseph

Posted 2013-11-13T13:46:45+0000  by Joseph_HD_ATL

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+