Sign In to join the community | Help
Lawn & Garden

Summer Favors

Favors are just a little something, a tiny token for remembrance to take away from a party, a shower, an event or special time to celebrate and remember the happening.

Recently I had the opportunity to create a favor for a friend, and co-workers, wedding shower. I wanted to make a little something that would be a simple take away to bring home or take back to the desk, from the office shower….. a living favor to grow stronger, like the growing love the shower represents.

Succulents are the simplest of plants to care for; they require little water, bright light and no fuss! My succulent garden enjoyed the summer sun all season on my front porch, it had grown so much that it was ready for a cut back and trim. Another great characteristic of succulents is that they are very easy to propagate and create additional plants….or the perfect shower favor!

With just a few ingredients, you can take cuttings and create tiny new containers of succulents! Decide on your containers, I used small mason jars but any watertight containers will do. Stop by your local Home Depot and pick up: rooting hormone, cactus soil, and sea glass, if you go that route….no pun intended, and grab your garden shears.

Step 1: Cut or twist off the pups, these are the tiny succulents that grow from the bottom of the mother plant, remove the bottom inch and half series of leaves from the stem of the pup, and set aside to dry.

Step 2: Fill the tiny mason jars or any other small container that you intend to use with a cactus and succulent soil, push the soil into place and then moisten the soil.

Step 3: Insert the stem of the pup into the rooting hormone powder, then push it into the moisten soil.

Step 4: Add a little ribbon (if you choose too) to the lid rim. Selecting colors that coordinate with the event will literally “tie it all together”. I added a few pieces of sea glass to finish the tiny succulent garden off.

Step 5: Add a little care tag that reads: Handle with Care, succulents recently planted,  add 2-4 ounces of water weekly; allow soil to dry between waterings, place in a bright, sunny spot, enjoy!

Take a bit of summer and plant it up! Even if you do not have an event to commemorate preserving a bit of summers growth by creating a new plant, is “favorable”! The plants will flourish and take root to be a reminder of the sweet summer that just pasted.

It is a nice and easy project…..have fun!       Maureen

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2017-10-03T16:02:20+0000  by Maureen_HD_BOS Maureen_HD_BOS

Hi Maureen,

Another very creative post, I love the images you use, they tell the story in pictures and words are almost unnecessary, Keep'm coming!

Mike 
Posted 2017-10-12T17:12:07+0000  by Mike_HD_OC

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+