Sign In to join the community | Help
Lawn & Garden

Sun Loving Geraniums!

This week's Plant of The Week in Atlanta is the geranium.

No plant loves the sun more than a geranium does. Geraniums are great Xeriscape plants because they tolerate dry conditions. In fact, they bloom better when they are a little on the dry side. Too much water will reduce their blooms.

When watering your geraniums, try not to get water on the foliage. Municipal water has chlorine and other chemicals that will affect the leaves, turning them yellow. Rain water doesn't seem to have that effect, so when you need to water them, apply water directly to the soil around your geranium.

Geraniums are available in a variety of colors. White, salmon, pinks, orange and reds, to name a few. 

As the blooms fade, snap off the bloom stem to dead head the plant. This will promote new growth and color all summer. 

Plant them in well drained soil or in pots with plenty of drainage. If there is a drip pan under the pot, empty any standing water in the drip tray to promote blooms.

Geraniums are my Plant of The Week, as well as my plant for the Summer!

Travis

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2013-04-16T14:09:24+0000  by Travis_HD_ATL Travis_HD_ATL

Howdy Travis,

After seeing your post on Geraniums I thought I'd talk about the Martha Washington Geranium that is fast becoming a garden favorite on the west coast.

The Martha Washing Geranium lives in plant hardiness zones 5 through 10, but do best in areas that have warm days and cool nights. With a little care and knowledge, you can use the plants to create a beautiful borders, patio containers or in hanging baskets.

Martha Washington geraniums grow in a wide range of soil types, but do best in rich, well-drained soil. If planted in garden beds, space them eight to 12 inches apart. They require six hours of sun each day. If they receive less, than that, the plants tend to get leggy and may not bloom much.

When the flowers of your Martha Washington geranium die back, trim off the spent flower heads. This will encourage the plant to produce more blooms and helps prevent disease from the rotting blossoms.

Happy Gardening,

Posted 2014-05-02T00:32:53+0000  by Dave_HD_OC

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+