Sign In to join the community | Help
Paint

Sun tan oil on Composite Deck?

Hi, Sorry if this is the wrong spot. My daughter sun tanned out on my deck and now I have a silhouette of her on there. I tried scrubbing with warm water, then scrubbing with warm water and dish soap. Neither option seemed to help at all. I was wondering if there are any tricks or some kind of cleaner/remover I can buy. Thank you for your help.
Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2011-06-14T01:31:30+0000  by trippene trippene

Hello trippene and welcome to The Community!  We are glad you are here and thank you for getting you the cleaning help you need.  I am sorry to hear about the suntan oil stain. 

You have already used dish soap and warm water with no apparent stain removal.  There are specific deck cleaners and commercial products available, but to get the stain out and maintain your manufacturer warranty, we will need to find a specific cleaner.

I spoke to the customer care departments of several composite deck manufacturers to get specific help for your problem.  Each manufacturer has a unique formulation for their deck board line.  Each deck line has a different composition; some manufacturers have changed the formulations in the past few years within the respective lines.   Different deck boards will respond to cleaners in different ways. 

To provide the best cleaning results, please tell me when you installed the deck boards (year), which manufacturer was used, deck board style (product name), and board color. 

Best wishes on your project and please keep us posted on your progress.

Posted 2011-06-14T14:18:25+0000  by Eileen_HD_ATL

Thanks for joining us Trippene.

It's a great day in the Paint Department!

Behr has a simple solution for your project: Behr 2-In-1 Wood Prep No. 63 should give you great results.

According to Behr, this product "removes household stains like Bar-B-Q Sauce, Ketchup, Wine, etc."

In addition, they designate it for use on "Exterior wood and composites" as well as a long list of other exterior surfaces.

I would recommend using a stiff bristle scrub brush to help remove the stain.

More than one application may be required.

Posted 2011-06-16T11:46:16+0000  by Pat_HD_ATL

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+