Sign In to join the community | Help
Build & Remodel

Super Glaze Sanding and Polishing

I purchased some Super Glaze from my local Home Depot.  Applied it to my dining room table after I stained it and for the most part it looks great.  However, there were a couple of uneven areas. I tried to level them out by sanding and grinding down.  Now those areas are understandably scuffed and "cloudy".  Is there a way I can polish or buff the entire table to get a uniform sheen?  Any product to rub onto it in order to fill in the scuffed areas.   Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Best Regards,

Kurt

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2013-02-27T07:08:36+0000  by Khanson17 Khanson17

If you have done or seen floor finishing being done, sanding it primarily removes more of the area. Since you need to build up the existing area first get a long thin straight edge. Use this to lay across low areas. Lightly mark areas needing to be done with sharp pencil a few inches further out. Tape off with a wide masking tape with a low adhesion. Fill this area in with a layer of whatever you are using as final coating to build up this area first. Do this until height desired height is achieved. Remove tape after each coatings and add new tape if needed for more height. After each coating buff out each layer with very fine scotchhbright pads (grey) finest or #oooo steel wool. This will turn the coating whitish when beginning to buff. Just keep buffing. Ive made my own buffing pads to put on my high speed drill. Be careful. To high of speed will melt the finish. Try as best as possible to flow with the graining of wood when using a orbital sander. Watch when you buffy one way and then go the other. One way will give you a better appearance. Pay attention to the outer edges, to make such they are feathered in nicely. Use your thin straight edge. Lay it back down.  I shine a light under to see if light shines underneath it. When no light shines through I know I have it smooth. I do a minimum three top coats for a deep glossy luster look. Filling in these low areas will just add to the depth as the glossiness and waviness is dimished. Years of trial and error restoring furniture and flooring sections have brought me these results. Good luck

Khanson17 wrote:

I purchased some Super Glaze from my local Home Depot.  Applied it to my dining room table after I stained it and for the most part it looks great.  However, there were a couple of uneven areas. I tried to level them out by sanding and grinding down.  Now those areas are understandably scuffed and "cloudy".  Is there a way I can polish or buff the entire table to get a uniform sheen?  Any product to rub onto it in order to fill in the scuffed areas.   Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Best Regards,

Kurt

Posted 2013-03-29T18:01:01+0000  by rick8460

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+