Sign In to join the community | Help
Build & Remodel

Super Glaze not curing

I recently completed a home bar. I applied two coats of parks super glaze to the bar top and it looked pretty good although not perfect. I decided to apply a third coat, however this time it has not fully set up and the bar is tacky in spots. Not sure if it was mixed incorrectly or if it was too thick. If it is either of these would a fourth coat help or hurt the situation.

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2012-05-24T13:45:32+0000  by tpingalls12 tpingalls12

Hello Tpingalls and welcome to the community. Have no Fear ThePaintAvenger   is here. How is the weather in your area because that can play a factor in your project? If it’s humid that will affect dry time and tackiness. This product is best applied during cooler temperatures but if it’s warm weather you should be all set. The mixing is very important that can be the other deciding factor as well. I'd look at the ratio of harder to resin, as is not really a 'slap it together, should be right' mixing situation, especially with epoxies with ratios like 5:1.You have to have a equal amount of mixture at a molecular level. I hope this information helps. ThePaintAvenger

Posted 2012-05-24T17:54:20+0000  by Soheil_HD_BOS

The Super Glaze is a catelized product which dries chemically. The drying is heat sensitive. It will dry faster when the environment is warm, and totally stop if it is very cold. Try moving it to a warm area if it is out in the cool garage. If that does not work, try aiming an infra-red lamp at the surface.

When mixing the product, it is important to thoroughly mix the solution so that both parts are completely mixed together. It is also important  to make sure that you have used equal parts. It is a good idea to let it set for a few minutes so that it naturally blends. If some areas are still not dry, I suspect that the solution was not sufficiently mixed together before starting to apply it.

Posted 2012-05-24T22:05:27+0000  by ordjen

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+