Sign In to join the community | Help
Building Materials

Surface checking on 4x8-3/8 Ply Sawn siding

Category:CarpentryQuestion:Surface checking on 4x8-3/8 Ply Sawn siding on some but not all panelsFull Description:I have surface checking on 4x8-3/8 Ply Sawn siding on some but not all panels. The house is only two years old and the siding is wood and batten. Given the Ply Sawn siding is an architectural feature I want to repair the siding. Is there a way to do this without replacing all the plywood? Is there a paint that is textured where I could scrape the effected areas, sand and paint and get a Ply Sawn look? Replacing the panels will be very expensive. Appreciate your help. Gerry Mooney

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2016-05-10T21:06:44+0000  by mooneyg mooneyg

Hello moomeyg and welcome to the Community.

I would not scrap it because you may take off more material than you want or need to.    Try using a wire brush to open up the bulging areas.  Then use an acrylic latex primer to seal it well.  Follow with your top coats after primer is dry. Do this during the cooler part of the day or when there is not direct sun exposer, so to allow the primer to absorb into the wood.

Below are the directions on how to finish a newly installed panel but the principles are the same.

FINISHING TIPS

• Seal panels edges with acrylic latex primer before installation
  • Repair surface damage, and fill nail holes with wood filler prior to painting
  • Allow wood filler to dry completely, and lightly sand before applying finishes
  • Panel surfaces should be clean and dry before applying primer and paint, and finishes should be applied as soon as possible after installation
  • Brush-apply at least one coat of stain-resistant acrylic primer
  • Apply two top-coats of acrylic latex paint, allowing sufficient drying time
  • Top-coats can be applied by brush, roller, or spray
  • Resistance to compression and warp

There are some thicker exterior paints for decking but they will fill in your texture more than accent the rough sawn appearance.

Thanks for your inquiry.

Charlotte

Posted 2016-05-12T14:19:13+0000  by Char_HD_CHI

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+