Sign In to join the community | Help
Build & Remodel

Survey for Fencing

I am buying a new home and will be fencing in the yard immediately after closing.  I have been asked if I want a survey of the property done for closing.  My question is, when I come to Home Depot for them to do the fencing, will they do a survey of the property to see where the fence can legally go or will I have to provide them with a survey?  Trying to decide if I should pay for the survey now when Home Depot may require it to be surveyed again for the fencing.
Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2015-07-16T13:18:59+0000  by Lori1 Lori1

Hello Lori1, and welcome to the community!

As per my conversation with the Home Depot Installation office, they said that it is the homeowners responsibility to obtain the survey, contact "Call Before You Dig" and pull the necessary permits before Home Depot comes out--this info will be discussed with you during your initial install consultation.

The "Call Before You Dig" law requires that before beginning any excavation one must call the Utilities Protection Center at 811 ( or 1-800-282-7411) to request an underground locator service. Calling 811 before every digging job gets your underground utility lines marked for free and helps prevent undesired consequences. For more information, visit www.gaupc.com.

So, if your realtor or lawyer asked you if you wanted a survey, say yes and have it done, even if you don't have the fence done, it's a good idea to see where your property boundary lines exist.  

Angelo ;)

Posted 2015-07-16T14:37:50+0000  by Angelo_HD_CHI
A survey is typically part of the paperwork associated with purchasing a home and is usually required by the title agency and/or the lender.  A call to the local code enforcement folks (or visiting their website) will tell you what information they require for issuing a fence permit and what restrictions they place on fences.  If they require a survey, then ask how recent it needs to be.

You should also check the property deed for any restrictions on fences.  Especially with newer developments (sub-divisions), home owner associations often limit the fence placement (e.g., backyard only) as well as height, style, and fence material.
Posted 2015-07-18T04:20:13+0000  by Adam444
Great question Lori1!

Surveyors typically locate and mark the metal pins that were driven into the ground to mark property corners when a larger parcel of land was subdivided into "land lots."

They surveyor will attach marker ribbon directly to the metal pin and trail it up to a tree or bush to ensure that it is visible.

As Adam notes, this is typically a part of the paperwork associate with purchasing a home ... and you will receive a copy at closing.

So, it is unlikely that you'll have to pay for another survey.

WHAT TO EXPECT:
Fence companies will not commonly install a fence directly on top of the property line.

Instead, a common standard is six-inches inside your property line.

This ensures that their installer does not install your fence on your neighbor's property.

TAKE AWAYS:
1) Present the installer the survey from your closing package, rather than purchase another survey; and

2) Expect the fence to be slightly inside your property line.
Posted 2015-08-18T16:42:49+0000  by Pat_HD_ATL

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+