Sign In to join the community | Help
Flooring

TILING A FLOOR

Can I install tile over an existing tile floor that is intact on a cement slab?

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2014-02-04T20:14:00+0000  by CLVM CLVM

Hello CLVM and welcome to The Community.  We are glad that you are here.

Tile over tile.jpg 

You can install new tile over existing tile if you are working with ceramic and / or porcelain tiles.  The existing tile floor should be in good shape.  Our post, Tiling over Tile on Shower Floor, details the process.  You should start with a clean tile surface, use a waterproofing and crack prevention membrane to create a new surface, and then use a fortified thin-set mortar to set the new tiles.  Because you are creating a “higher surface,” you may need to change out mouldings, thresholds, or transition pieces to adjoining rooms as well as check the floor height for door clearances (trimming the bottom of the door as needed).

If you are working with another scenario, such as ceramic or porcelain tile over vinyl tile, I would recommend removing the vinyl tile and installing backer board.

Best wishes on your project. 

Posted 2014-02-04T20:44:52+0000  by Eileen_HD_ATL

Hi Clvm,

We've received this question quite often lately, the direct answer is maybe.

Some folks says it can be done, we do offer products to do such a job, however I do not recommended it.

All tile floors have a finite life, after years of use, thinset begins to fail and the tiles come loose. Grout pops out and the tiles begin to shift and crack.

Thinset will not adhere well to the old tiles and the floor will be uneven with the surrounding flooring.

The new floor will begin to fail as soon as one those old tiles starts to come loose.

Remove the old tile first and make sure the subfloor in level and clean before starting your new tile job.

Posted 2014-02-04T20:51:33+0000  by Mike_HD_OC

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+